Charlotte or Greensboro - how to get to the airport from the station?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:04 PM

Please advise what public transportation is available in Charlotte or Greensboro, NC from Amtrak station to the airport? I need to get there to rent a car. I will choose the city with easiest connection.

#2 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:49 AM

I have used both stations, and would advise using a taxi. Bus conections may be possible, but would undoubtedly involve a transfer. I have arived in the middle of the night at Charlotte and taken a cab over to Greyhound, which was fine. I have also arrived in Charlotte by Greyhound and taken a cab to the airport, which ran about $20 ( over 5 years ago. ) I have used a local bus to get from downtown Charlotte to the Amtrak station late at night, which was also OK. I parked my car for several days at Greensboro about two and a half years ago, which is in a more out of the way location. I believe that taxis met trains there, or most certainly the agent could give a number to call. Hope this helps.
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#3 jphjaxfl

jphjaxfl

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Interests:Rail passenger advocate for modern, reliable passenger trains that will allow for business or leasure travel. I have been riding trains for over 60 years, but I am not advocating going back to what we once had, rather an updated system similar to Europe, Japan, China, India and other nations with great passenger train systems.

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:31 PM

In Greensboro, Amtrak trains have moved back downtown to the restored older station. I believe both Charlotte and Greensboro's local transit systems have web sites. I agree that a taxi would be the best way to get from either Amtrak station to the airport.

#4 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:47 AM

I last used the Greensboro station in Jan., 2005, a small building out by a freight yard. I remember passing the old station - good to hear they moved!
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#5 BobWeaver

BobWeaver

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:35 PM

From what I've seen while aboard #80, the Greensboro Amtrak station is also a city public transit station, as I saw a few buses come and go while we were making our station stop.
Amtrak miles: 9,933
Northeast Regional (13), Carolinian (7), Crescent (6), Palmetto (4), Piedmont (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Silver Meteor (2), Lake Shore Limited (1), Silver Star (1)

#6 George Harris

George Harris

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,069 posts
  • Interests:Track, construction, schedules

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

Both these cities probably have their city bus information on line. Do a search and see what you come up with.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users