Athearns Amd-103 Phase V

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMTRAK-P42

Conductor
Well as some of you may know Athearn is producing a second series to their very popular but limited Amd-103's Phase V. They were due on October 1, 2003 and I have yet to hear any news about them in the local hobbyshops or on walthers. com. I was wondering if anyone had aquired any information as to when they might be expecting them.

I was just at the GATS that was held in St. Paul today, and there were a few vendors that were selling Athearn AMD-103s. Perhaps the hobby shops in your area just haven't recieved the shipments yet.

Viewliner said:
I looked on Walthers recently and they pushed the date back to November 5. :(   Guess #204 will be another couple of weeks late.
Oh no! :( , I guess my consist will have to run a little light for a few more weeks.

Though slightly off topic, I thought I would mention that Bachmann just announced plans to do the HHP-8 locomotive and redesign the Amfleet I cars in HO scale. The Amfleets will be in Phase I-IV and Acela. Unfortunately, there will be no Phase IVb, but probably has to do with the fact that Bachmann does not have the rights to use Amtrak's three sheets logo. Only Walthers holds that right and thats why, with Athearn, they were able to produce the P-42 in Phase V.

Yeah, I've heard about that, I was hoping somebody would do a model of it soon. I think I'd order #655 as it was featured in a recent issue of Trains magazine. Hopefully Bachmann will do a good job with it. As for the Amfleets, I hope they don't look as bad as Bachmann's Phase III Job.

It would be nice to see Walthers do IVb, maybe even a Metroliner Scheme too. :rolleyes:

Yep Bachmann's Amfleets could use an overhaul, BADLY. They need to be redesigned from the wheels up I think. I have one of their cars, it isnt that bad but when its lined up with my BEAUTIFUL Walthers Amfleet Cars, there is just no comparison. Hey if Bachmann gets their cars looking real good, I think I will pick up a few, maybe some lava lamp cars to make things intresting! :D

I hope Walther's does the Phase IVb, I mean they have the rights to use the logo, they might as well do it. Hmm maybe an all purpose IV car, comes with the decals for Phase IVb, or the Ne Direct scheme, or the metroliner scheme, its up to you!

P40Power said:
Yep Bachmann's Amfleets could use an overhaul, BADLY. They need to be redesigned from the wheels up I think. I have one of their cars, it isnt that bad but when its lined up with my BEAUTIFUL Walthers Amfleet Cars, there is just no comparison. Hey if Bachmann gets their cars looking real good, I think I will pick up a few, maybe some lava lamp cars to make things intresting! :D
I hope Walther's does the Phase IVb, I mean they have the rights to use the logo, they might as well do it. Hmm maybe an all purpose IV car, comes with the decals for Phase IVb, or the Ne Direct scheme, or the metroliner scheme, its up to you!
They certainly better be worth the money considering the cars on $29 a piece. Notice how Bachmann also isn't doing the cars in Phase I. This menas they must now only have the rights to "Acela" not the "Arrow" or "Sheet" logo. Now what strikes me is why Bachmann isn't doing a Business Class Acela Amfleet.

I do agree that Walthers should have some flexibilty in the Phase IV scheme letting the modeler choose if it should say "Amtrak", "Northeast Direct", "Metroliner", or nothing. I also think there should be the option of putting Coach, Custom Class, Club, Dinette, etc.

My Phase II cars as well as my Phase III walthers Amfleet I cars, which are all around 10 years old now, came with that option. The Phase II cars came with a full sheet of decals (the car had nothing on it but the striping) that has "Amdinette" "Amcafe" "Amclub" "Amcoach" as well as the "Amtrak" decals, car numbers, and decals which stated how many passengers the cars could hold (the prototypes had these numbers on them, in case if you didnt know, only Phase I and II Amfleet cars)

The Phase III Coach already said Amtrak on it, but again it was up to you to put the coach decals and what number you wanted on it. It seems that they changed it

I like the old method better myself, If I got a food service car I would make it intresting have one side be a dinette and the other a club!

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Viewliner said:
I looked on Walthers recently and they pushed the date back to November 5. :(   Guess #204 will be another couple of weeks late.
Oh no! :( , I guess my consist will have to run a little light for a few more weeks.
.....well now the release date has been pushed back to november 15th. :(

Well once again the date has been pushed back. Although now I presume walthers has given up hope of an accurate date, so their website simply reads "Unknown" :huh: .

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Well once again the date has been pushed back. Although now I presume walthers has given up hope of an accurate date, so their website simple reads "Unknown" :huh: .
All that preordering for nothing.... :angry:

I think I have a better chance of seeing the 204 again before I get the model.

Well, now Walthers site is showing all three units as "sold out". This means that so many pre-orderd the units that there were none left for an actual release. So unless you pre-ordered, I guess your out of luck. Your next best bet is probably E-bay.

Amfleet said:
Well, now Walthers site is showing all three units as "sold out". This means that so many pre-orderd the units that there were none left for an actual release. So unless you pre-ordered, I guess your out of luck. Your next best bet is probably E-bay.
Jon, your looking at different ones. 134 and 203/204 are still unknown with advanced reservations. (9669 and 9670).

Viewliner said:
Walthers Has Finally Received them. :D
I guess this means Internettrains will get them soon, and then me. :D :p :lol:
I see it, thats great news Viewliner! Thanks for keeping me informed, I had stopped checking up everyweek. :D

I ordered this item back in May, so I really hope that they will ship soon. I preordered on internettrains, and I just sent them an email asking if they're receiving them soon. It would be nice if I could get it by Christmas, although that looks pretty doubtful.

xlr said:
I ordered this item back in May, so I really hope that they will ship soon. I preordered on internettrains, and I just sent them an email asking if they're receiving them soon. It would be nice if I could get it by Christmas, although that looks pretty doubtful.
Walthers Ships 'em to internet trains, they in turn ship it to you. It'd take what? ten days at the most?

Back