Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Live Chat every Sunday, 7PM Eastern

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#41 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,499 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

Sounds like a fine idea.

Maybe at 9 or 10 eastern to give the west coast folks a shot.

Just saw Maine Rider pop in and out, but he left beforeI could say hi.

It's possible to use a standard IRC client to connect, if that's your kind of thing.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#42 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

A slot like 7PM PT/10PM ET would be nice for us west coasters and you eastern insomniacs. :)
Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#43 none

none

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

A slot like 7PM PT/10PM ET would be nice for us west coasters and you eastern insomniacs. :)

Usually past my bedtime ...

I have been popping in and out some though, and now and then find another person to chat with.

#44 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,499 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Like now, we're having fun and you're* not.

*Unless "you" is Maine Rider, then you're one of the cool kids having fun. :D
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#45 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,156 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

What is the difference between this 'live chat', and posting replys on a thread?

Why not have live chat always available, or else a thread that is dedicated to 'live' conversations at all times?
This might solve the problem of various threads going off on all sorts of rambling tangents that have little or nothing to do with the original subject...

Edited by railiner, 07 December 2012 - 11:15 AM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#46 none

none

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

The live chat is always available, but is mostly quiet except Sunday nights. But lastly there is some activity at other random times...

#47 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,499 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

What is the difference between this 'live chat', and posting replys on a thread?

The live chat isn't archived on the web like these posts are - if you're not there, you miss the conversation.

Why not have live chat always available

As Maine Rider mentioned, it is. Just point your web browser (or IRC client!) to irc.amtraktrains.com and join in.

This might solve the problem of various threads going off on all sorts of rambling tangents that have little or nothing to do with the original subject...

I see that as a feature, not a bug.
Posted Image

#48 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

If AU ever starts our own business, we should call it the Rambling Tangent Central Railway. :)
Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#49 none

none

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Does anyoneknow which irc server #amtrak is on? I have an irc app for my Android tablet and cannot seem to find the channel on any of the xervers it lists...

#50 AlanB

AlanB

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,355 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

The server is irc.amtraktrains.com, it most likely will not be listed and you'll have to type that in by hand.
You need to set the port to 6668, I think that 6667 works too.
And the channel is #amtrak
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#51 none

none

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Thanks Alan. I have it working now. The web-based client didn't work well on my Android browser, but the irc app seems to be working fine. Will try it again later tonight.

#52 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

I'd say the live chat sessions are even less structured and less related to Amtrak or trains of any type than the forum at large.  

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#53 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

I'd say the live chat sessions are even less structured and less related to Amtrak or trains of any type than the forum at large.  

I agree with you, and I am probably one of the biggest "offenders."  However, I do not think the subject matter of the chat was intended to be exclusively about trains.  We talk about the weather, food, etc., and we talk about trains, once in a while.   :giggle:   

I participate quite often and I do not think I have ever participated when the conversation totally excluded trains.  We often get new folks who have a train question that is always answered immediately, if possible.

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#54 none

none

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

I don't see any problem. Offenders? Who is offended?

#55 Amtrak Cajun

Amtrak Cajun

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak, Building Computers, Amtrak, traveling in general, and umm did i mention AMTRAK!!!!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Sunday is my favorite day of the week, I live for the live chat :D See yall soon.

Im Anthony.

Allll Aboooarrdd!!!!

#56 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

I agree with you, and I am probably one of the biggest "offenders."  However, I do not think the subject matter of the chat was intended to be exclusively about trains.  We talk about the weather, food, etc., and we talk about trains, once in a while.   :giggle:   

I participate quite often and I do not think I have ever participated when the conversation totally excluded trains.  We often get new folks who have a train question that is always answered immediately, if possible.

I couldn't participate tonight, my job is sucking up most of my time right now, but I've been on the chat a few times where nary a word was spoken about trains.  Not that this is a bad thing, just something that donned on me one day.  I think chat sessions are (and should be) free to go wherever they may.  If that happens to include trains so much the better, but I don't see any requirement for it.  Gives folks a chance to see a more casual side to their fellow members.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 25 February 2013 - 12:29 AM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#57 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I couldn't participate tonight, my job is sucking up most of my time right now, but I've been on the chat a few times where nary a word was spoken about trains.  Not that this is a bad thing, just something that donned on me one day.  I think chat sessions are (and should be) free to go wherever they may.  If that happens to include trains so much the better, but I don't see any requirement for it.  Gives folks a chance to see a more casual side to their fellow members.

Last night we talked about the weather for quite a while (including snow in Maine, heat in Florida, severe weather in STL).  We also chatted quite a bit about trains and Amtrak.

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#58 none

none

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

I'm keeping a now-and-then eye on the chat room tonight, Saturday, Mar. 2... if anyone's around and wants to chat... just sayin'.

#59 white rabbitt

white rabbitt

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:trains amtrak traveling

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

last sunday was my first chat and i loved chating with ya'll

#60 none

none

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

Well - don't be shy about logging on earlier than 7 Eastern... the server is up 24/7. As far as I can see, 7 pm  Sundays is when there is most likely to be a group... but there is no rule against any other time.

I find it easier to participate when there are fewer people who all know each other's first names... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users