Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

What Does Your Forum User Name Mean?

• Please log in to reply
597 replies to this topic

#41 George Harris

George Harris

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Interests:Track, construction, schedules

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:05 PM

I use Gingee because it was my last dog's name. She died a year and a half ago. I had used her name on so many forums that I decided to keep it anyway. We have a dog now named Snuggles. Shall I call myself Snuggles?

You are probably better off with Gingee. I have a feeling that if you were to google snuggles you might end up with some embarrasing moments.

Since my screen name is my name, what can I say? I tend to be unimaginative? I don't have to worry about hiding from anybody? For names and such, yes, I guess I am unimaginative. My passwords, when I set up my own, involves numbers and names that were in my life before I was 7 years old, so they should be stuck in my brain if the more recent stuff starts fading away. Haven't got to retirement yet. Looking forward to that in a few years, in that there are a lot of things I would like to do that working interferes with.

By the way, if you think you are talking only to the people here, you might be surprised. About a year ago I got an email from a former co-worker that had seen something that I had posted on another forum, asking if I was the George Harris that had made the post. He had done a google search on a particular issue and that post popped up in the list. He was in England. We are dealing with a relitively specific set of issues in a very small world.

George

#42 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:47 PM

Shall I call myself Snuggles?

Only if you are :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aloha

GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks
http://gg-1.smugmug.com/'>Picture Galleries

Posted Image

#43 FLtoNC

FLtoNC

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:48 PM

I was born and raised in Florida then I went to "see" the mountains of N.C. but met and married a native North Carolinian and never left! and here it is 28 years later... haha

I registered today but have been reading the forum since our trip to NYP on the Silver Star in March of this year to visit our grandchild. My husband's first train ride and he loved it...

#44 WhoozOn1st

WhoozOn1st

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:17 AM

One guess as to what my primary transportation is.

If you guessed Yamaha YZF1000 you're correct!!

No fair giving the answer immediately! I was gonna guess a Hot Rod Lincoln. B)

WhoozOn1st

#45 AMTRAK-P42

AMTRAK-P42

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak, Music, Friends, Love, and Life!

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:33 AM

Amtrak-P42=My favorite locos
~Late trains=More time on the train=The best trains~

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Go #8-04 Daytona 500 Winner!!

#46 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,777 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:45 AM

I was born and raised in Florida then I went to "see" the mountains of N.C. but met and married a native North Carolinian and never left! and here it is 28 years later... haha

I registered today but have been reading the forum since our trip to NYP on the Silver Star in March of this year to visit our grandchild. My husband's first train ride and he loved it...

WELCOME!

#47 Bill Haithcoat

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,112 posts
  • Interests:passenger trains

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:08 AM

When I was 15, I talked my parents into taking a planned cross-country trip by train. This would be my first ever overnight train trip. The first train we used was the Pennsylvania Railroad's "General" from North Philadelphia to Chicago. Years later when I first signed up for a rail discussion board I decided to us that first ever overnight overnight train ride as my name: "PRR 60" for PRR Train #60.

However, several months later I was looking through an old PRR timetable. Turns out my memory had been faulty. The westbound General was PRR Train 49, not 60. PRR #60 was the eastbound Pittsburgher that was an overnight trip between Pittsburgh and New York (all Pullman for at least a while). I guess it was a nice train, but I definitely never rode it. I might have seen the westbound version in my train watching days, but as far as I can recall, I never saw #60, the eastbound Pittsburgher. However, by the time I realized my error, I was PRR 60 in too many places to change. So PRR 60, Mr. Pittsburgher, it is.

PRR 60---about the Pittsburgher.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say something I cannot easily prove.(yeah, I know, it won't be the first time)

The Pittsburgher used to leave Pittsburgh at 11 p.m. . and you could board the sleepers at 9.30. Nothing unusual about that---happened all over the country hundreds of times every night.

However, I believe I read an article in TRAINS a few years ago that the diners opened,for full dinner service (not just for snacks ) at 9.30 also. .

Furthermore---and this is the distinct point being made here--I seem to recall that local citizens who were NOT traveling could eat in that diner also, so long as they finished before the train pulled out. I think there was kind of a local club of politicians and city fathers,etc, who ate dinner on the train, then got off, on a somewhat regular basis.

Should my memory be true, and I am not just "out of it", then PRR60 you didn't do a bad job of givng yourself the number "60" after all. (To take nothing away from the General, a train which did not get nearly enough publicity because it was stacked next to the so-very-famous Broadway Limited, and was almost as good.) Either way, you have winning train numbers and ID's.

I looked at the timetables last night and no such mention. But it was--if it existed at all l and not just in my imagination--a purely local thing, not adverised. Just for those "in the know".

I think another old train, tke Pioneer, did that in the Minneapolis overnight to CHI. And I know Amtrak has started something simiilar on the LSL out of Chicago--but not available for locals to eat only, of course.

#48 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:25 AM

I hate caravans and I am a woman.. (my little joke!)
I was Shania Train for a time too, but got de-frocked and outed by irate moderators! (how's that for a contadiction!)
Brad Shaw was another alias, from the early rail timetables..
Was I Sheer Luck Holmes too, or did I dream that ..
It's back to the Greenwoods and Sherwood Forest for me now..

Is George Harris a typical Taiwan handle?

Ed. B)

Edited by caravanman, 22 June 2007 - 09:27 AM.

#49 had8ley

had8ley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts
  • Interests:"There's nothin' nicer than "dinner In the diner." After 30 plus years of pulling cabooses and pax trains around it's time for someone else to pull me around...

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:16 AM

When I was 15, I talked my parents into taking a planned cross-country trip by train. This would be my first ever overnight train trip. The first train we used was the Pennsylvania Railroad's "General" from North Philadelphia to Chicago. Years later when I first signed up for a rail discussion board I decided to us that first ever overnight overnight train ride as my name: "PRR 60" for PRR Train #60.

However, several months later I was looking through an old PRR timetable. Turns out my memory had been faulty. The westbound General was PRR Train 49, not 60. PRR #60 was the eastbound Pittsburgher that was an overnight trip between Pittsburgh and New York (all Pullman for at least a while). I guess it was a nice train, but I definitely never rode it. I might have seen the westbound version in my train watching days, but as far as I can recall, I never saw #60, the eastbound Pittsburgher. However, by the time I realized my error, I was PRR 60 in too many places to change. So PRR 60, Mr. Pittsburgher, it is.

PRR 60---about the Pittsburgher.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say something I cannot easily prove.(yeah, I know, it won't be the first time)

The Pittsburgher used to leave Pittsburgh at 11 p.m. . and you could board the sleepers at 9.30. Nothing unusual about that---happened all over the country hundreds of times every night.

However, I believe I read an article in TRAINS a few years ago that the diners opened,for full dinner service (not just for snacks ) at 9.30 also. .

Furthermore---and this is the distinct point being made here--I seem to recall that local citizens who were NOT traveling could eat in that diner also, so long as they finished before the train pulled out. I think there was kind of a local club of politicians and city fathers,etc, who ate dinner on the train, then got off, on a somewhat regular basis.

Should my memory be true, and I am not just "out of it", then PRR60 you didn't do a bad job of givng yourself the number "60" after all. (To take nothing away from the General, a train which did not get nearly enough publicity because it was stacked next to the so-very-famous Broadway Limited, and was almost as good.) Either way, you have winning train numbers and ID's.

I looked at the timetables last night and no such mention. But it was--if it existed at all l and not just in my imagination--a purely local thing, not adverised. Just for those "in the know".

I think another old train, tke Pioneer, did that in the Minneapolis overnight to CHI. And I know Amtrak has started something simiilar on the LSL out of Chicago--but not available for locals to eat only, of course.

I can concur with the diner in Pittsburg. I went to school in Wheeling, West Va. (thankfully only for one year) and hitch-hiked to Pittsburg. I was offered a sleeping car room on the Pittsburger to NYC and noticed people coming out of the diner and going back to the station. My GUESS is that they were people from town just coming to eat. I think I was in an all roomette car but am not sure.

Edited by had8ley, 22 June 2007 - 10:20 AM.

#50 AKA

AKA

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:55 PM

AKA - was that the APA / LKA-248 Paul Revere? If so:
Comm. USS Paul Revere (APA-248), '58, at Long Beach
Redesig. Amphib Transport (LPA-248), Jan '69
Decomm. Jan '80
Sold to Spain, Jan '80,
became the Castillia (L-21)
Retired (Spanish Navy), 6 Jun '98

No , but we did operate with the Revere off the coast. [ see hint ] Most of the sister ships where in the 200 + numbers. Sorry but cant reveal name or number yet. My ship went into Spanish in navy 1964. I was the last enlisted man to leave. It was already decommissioned. My last duty was to close the post office and take off the last mail. I took off the last guard mail. I was the only enlisted man left with a top secret clearance. Went on 30 days R&R then back to amphib base in San Diego. PM me if you are a gator.

#51 AMTK1007

AMTK1007

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:13 PM

Simple, in the BN days, Amtrak trains had their number prefixed with 1000.. thus, for example, the Illinois Zephyr, train 348 would be Amtrak 1348 to the BN. In My case.. that is of course the Symbol for the Westbound Empire Builder, AMERICA'S TRAIN

Edited by AMTK1007, 22 June 2007 - 04:13 PM.

#52 amtrakwine

amtrakwine

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:28 PM

I like riding Amtrak, and I am a wine sales rep. To make money to take Amtrak.

Alvin

#53 George Harris

George Harris

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:04 AM

Is George Harris a typical Taiwan handle?

Ed. B)

Only if you are a born American who has been working in the far east for quite a few years. (Back to the US in 2 weeks, probably for good.)

George

#54 Guest_Guest_Gingee_*_*

Guest_Guest_Gingee_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:39 PM

Well based on what a couple of you have said, I won't change my name to Snuggles. LOL

#55 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:52 AM

Well based on what a couple of you have said, I won't change my name to Snuggles.

Yes, probably a good idea to keep it Gingee. Out of curiosity, I have always wondered why you haven't registered on this forum??? Maybe that's an idea for another topic. I think I'll do that!

I always read your posts because I'm a cruisin' train person who has ties to the Peoria area.

Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor, Maple Leaf, Ethan Allen Express 76,745 Amtrak miles.    Via Rail Vancouver to Toronto 2775 Miles.

#56 jim55

jim55

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:04 AM

My first car(in my name) was a $300 55chevy 2d sedan. I had it 3years and traded for a 59 chevy rag top. Bad mistake. During my year in SVN, I mentally tore the 55 down and restored it. On my return to the "land of the big BX" I found a 55 2d sedan. In all I have had 6 55chevys including a 55 wagon in the barn awaiting assembly. Jim55

#57 AlanB

AlanB

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,357 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:42 AM

Well based on what a couple of you have said, I won't change my name to Snuggles.

Yes, probably a good idea to keep it Gingee. Out of curiosity, I have always wondered why you haven't registered on this forum??? Maybe that's an idea for another topic. I think I'll do that!

Actually Gingee is a member here. I think that she just forgets to sign in most of the time. :lol:
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#58 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:43 AM

First initial, last name, and the state in which I lived for 22 of the first 23 years of my life. I don't know why I threw the state (WI) in there, but I did it some years ago for some e-mail address or other forum registration, and it just stuck with me. Now, I use the same name, even though I'm no longer in Wisconsin.

Many people incorrectly assume that the name has something to do with the state capital.
Posted Image

#59 RailBirder

RailBirder

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Trains, birding, camping, hiking, gardening, travel

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:44 PM

Didn't put a lot of deep thought into mine...I like trains, especially Amtrak since my first ADVENTURE last year and I'm a birder. Must say haven't seen many birds while on the train...

#60 George Harris

George Harris

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:51 AM

Didn't put a lot of deep thought into mine...I like trains, especially Amtrak since my first ADVENTURE last year and I'm a birder. Must say haven't seen many birds while on the train...

You migth if you were an engineer over here. :(
In the first couple of months of testing in the Taiwan High Speed Rail we hit a lot of birds. It seems that in the period between stringing the overhead and electrification and the start of trial running that a lot of the local bird population decided that the overhead system made for great roosting locations. When the wire starts shaking with the approach of a train, the brids would fly off. Those that decided to fly downward when the wire started shaking are for the most part no longer with us, as in the early days of testing there would be several bird splats on the front of every train. The problem has tapered off significantly. Either the brids have quit resting on the wires, learned to fly upward when it starts shaking, or those that flew downward are no longer part of the local bird populatiion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users