498 replies to this topic

#1 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:20 PM

I mentioned in another thread we should have a thread with this title. I have already been PM'd asking me to start it. So, I'll go first.

MrFSS is short for Mr Financial Settlement Services. That is a subsidiary company of the big company I retired from a few years ago. We only had a few employees in our little group, and to many of my customers I was know as = MrFSS. It stuck and I keep using it today. Haven't worked there in a few years, but I still hear from folks now and then.

So, if you have a story as to why you have the user name you use and want to share it, this is the place!

Tom

#2 como

como

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:24 PM

I mentioned in another thread we should have a thread with this title. I have already been PM'd asking me to start it. So, I'll go first.

MrFSS is short for Mr Financial Settlement Services. That is a subsidiary company of the big company I retired from a few years ago. We only had a few employees in our little group, and to many of my customers I was know as = MrFSS. It stuck and I keep using it today. Haven't worked there in a few years, but I still hear from folks now and then.

So, if you have a story as to why you have the user name you use and want to share it, this is the place!

Tom

como = Columbia, Missouri. No story just where I live

#3 RailFanLNK

RailFanLNK

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:29 PM

Railrookie....says it all. I'm new to rail travel but have learned so much. I have went back to some of the posts that I put on a 1 1/2 years ago and sheesh.......shucks...how embarrassing! :huh: I have learned so much in 1 1/2 years from the forum, reading books on trains and primarily Amtrak (all learned from this forum) hanging out and talking to Amtrak employees of the CZ in LNK and talking to the ticket agent in LNK. One of the cooler moments is talking back and forth with a forum member and finding out he was the guitarist in a punk band I followed in the 1980's. I about died when he said, "have you ever heard of....." that was cool in itself!

Al

I have travelled on the California Zephyr, Lakeshore Limited, Carolinian, Acela, Capital Limited, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Missouri River Runners, Texas Eagle, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Hiawatha Service and the Cardinal.

#4 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:30 PM

Hey - nice place, spent a couple of days there last year on a drive to Colorado. Very friendly people and a good meal at the Olive Garden!

#5 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,256 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:56 PM

Aloha

GG-1 is my favorite, the best motor, used on the NEC from 1937 - 1983 by the Standard Railroad of the World, the Pennsylvania Rail Road.

Eric aka GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks

Picture Galleries Posted Image

#6 Squeakz2001

Squeakz2001

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:03 PM

Hi!
My name has stuck with me since high school:
Squeakz= I squeak when I laugh. People have called me 'squeaky' for a long time!
2001= the year I graduated high school.

#7 Rafi

Rafi

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Location:Baltimore, MD (primary); Culpeper, VA; Washington, DC

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:21 PM

Hey - nice place, spent a couple of days there last year on a drive to Colorado. Very friendly people and a good meal at the Olive Garden!

Rafi: it's my name. ;) You'll also see me as "rafster" on the flyertalk board: old high school nickname.

-Rafi
Travel with me by rail around the world at Rafi on the Rails!

#8 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:27 PM

Everydaymatters-the name got its start several years ago when I was a research patient at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda. I saw little bald-headed kids wheeling their IV tubes around. I spoke to adults who were there because they had a rare form of cancer that had doctors baffled. I met people who knew their lung disease was terminal, but hoped that some new research project would produce a new medicine to make it easier to live with.

Every day was crucial. Every day mattered. Thus, the name Everydaymatters.

By the Way - The research project I was in resulted in them finding the common protein for the type of pulmonary fibrosis I have. That opens doors for more research - possibly even a cure :) That made every painful test I went through worth every second of it. My buttons were bustin' to have been part of a research project that had such great results. :D

Everydaymatters
Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha   64,611 Amtrak miles

#9 Bill Haithcoat

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts
  • Interests:passenger trains

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:51 PM

Aloha

GG-1 is my favorite, the best motor, used on the NEC from 1937 - 1983 by the Standard Railroad of the World, the Pennsylvania Rail Road.

Well, clearly no secret to my name---it is just my name. But I wanted GG-1 to know that I am one of the people on here who fully appreciates the handsome electric locos he is named for. And there are a few others on here with historic names I pick up on.. Like City of Miami, Southern Serves the South, etc. I am no doubt leaving some out..

#10 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:53 PM

Everydaymatters-the name got its start several years ago when I was a research patient at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda. I saw little bald-headed kids wheeling their IV tubes around. I spoke to adults who were there because they had a rare form of cancer that had doctors baffled. I met people who knew their lung disease was terminal, but hoped that some new research project would produce a new medicine to make it easier to live with.

Every day was crucial. Every day mattered. Thus, the name Everydaymatters.

By the Way - The research project I was in resulted in them finding the common protein for the type of pulmonary fibrosis I have. That opens doors for more research - possibly even a cure :) That made every painful test I went through worth every second of it. My buttons were bustin' to have been part of a research project that had such great results. :D

Everydaymatters

Great story. Thanks!!!

#11 gswager

gswager

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts
  • Interests:mountain recreations, scuba diving, Christian,

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

Gswager- that's my name Greg Swager. Sorry for an unintrigue name. :lol:
Entire length in segments- Southwest Chief (LSV-LAX & CHI-LSV), Pacific Surfliner (SLO-LAX & LAX-SAN) & San Joaquin (Oakland stub)
Entire length, end to end- Lake Shore Limited (Boston stub) (11/09), Downeaster (11/09) & Coast Starlight (10/11)
Partial- California Zephyr (SLC-EMY), Hiawatha, Cascades (SEA-PDX) & Acela (BOS-PVD)

#12 AKA

AKA

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:46 PM

AKA --not also known as.--Any Navy people out there? It was a ship designation. Lets see if anyone can come up with the answer. My first user name was APA. Got lost in a misfire in the forum some how. Same deal, a ship designation.My member number would be lower if I had not lost the APA. I thought some one might pick up on the letters and make the connection. I guess my shipmates are not train people. :( or none of you guys where my shipmates. You will have to go back a few years to find the APA AKA desingnation. If anyone does find the answer, be kind about my age. :D :D :D Hint Viet Nam :(

#13 had8ley

had8ley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts
  • Interests:"There's nothin' nicer than "dinner In the diner." After 30 plus years of pulling cabooses and pax trains around it's time for someone else to pull me around...

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:41 PM

Tom

Well Tom I would have thought you were a former railroader. We used to call the brakemen that laid off on week-ends "Mr. Friday, Saturday and Sunday." We couldn't get our name on Juno so we just put an 8 in the middle.

Jay

Edited by had8ley, 20 June 2007 - 03:43 PM.

#14 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:57 PM

Well Tom I would have thought you were a former railroader. We used to call the brakemen that laid off on week-ends "Mr. Friday, Saturday and Sunday." We couldn't get our name on Juno so we just put an 8 in the middle.

Jay

I wish sometimes I was a former railroader :)

Are there 8 little Hadleys running around???

#15 The Metropolitan

The Metropolitan

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:27 PM

Hate to admit it, but I always HOPED someone would initiate a topic like this.

My name was actually chosen prematurely. I live a short distance from what was once the "other" PRR Main Line (the old Northern Central) in the Northeast, running between Baltimore and Harrisburg. I first became intrigued by this line as a child in the late 70's, when it was just a disconnected freight line, and finally rode it in 1992 when our Light Rail line opened along it.

In its heyday, the line hosted trains from Washington/Baltimore to St. Louis, Chicago, and Buffalo. History Buff that I am, when I joined the forum, I wanted to choose my name to match the cream of the crop passenger train that plyed this line I was so fascinated by. Looking through an old timetable, I thought I had found it, and promptly chose "The Metropolitan" as the name had that stylish 40's feel of a premier train.

Later I would learn that the Washington train "Metropolitan" was little more than a connecting train to the "real Metropolitan" that operated through to New York.

Had I really done my homework right, I would have chosen "LIBERTY LIMITED" as this was the stylish train that I could board at Penn Station Baltimore, head up my beloved Northern Central into Harrisburg, and continue West towards Chicago without ever changing trains.

I did look to try to change the label, but couldn't figure out how. Ah, well, "The Metropolitan" is still cool.

So there is the whole story of my name, probably far more than anyone cared to know! ;)

I'll also admit I was always curious why the "8" was in the middle of "had8ley." I'd have never thought the reason to be so simple! LOL!
PRR to Harrisburg...WM to Hagerstown...B&O to Cumberland...Ma&Pa to York...

Oh, the trains I missed being born too late!

#16 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,750 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:47 PM

I did look to try to change the label, but couldn't figure out how. Ah, well, "The Metropolitan" is still cool.

You can't change it, but I can. :) So drop me a PM if you're interested and let me know what you want to change, since you have both a login name and a display name. I can change one or both of them, from their current value of "The Metropolitan" to whatever you like.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#17 spot1181

spot1181

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:28 PM

Spot=the white spot I've had in my hair since I was 18 ( Mrs. Spot calls it a skunkstreak now, which makes her Mrs. Skunk?
1181= the mail route I carry in Cincinnati. spot1181.
'Come ride the little train that is rolling down the track to the junction'

#18 tourlink99

tourlink99

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:trains, cigars, cruises, computers

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:01 PM

Tourlink was the name of my bus and tour company. We provided charter and group tour services and also specialized in group tours.

#19 trainboy325

trainboy325

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

Trainboy started out as a joke when I began my involvement with the Lake Wales Model Railroad Club in Lake Wales, Florida, my hometown. When the City of Lake Wales was creating its email system and the railroad club was going to get an account for responding to visitors and potential members. I was at the time the club's vice president as well as a part time employee of the City which allowed me access to the intranet system to monitor the email account. It was suggested by club members and my dad to be the "Trainboy" since the club was made up mostly of retired men and I was the only teenager in the group. So it stuck, becoming my identity for the railroad club's government account administrator and used it as my username when I got my AOL account during high school. It has remained my email name since. The 325 represents the Depot Museum's address in town: 325 S. Scenic Highway, Lake Wales, FL 33853.

I'm proud to have been part of building this wonderful place. The museum is in the former Atlantic Coast Line station in Lake Wales built in 1928 as part of ACL's plan to compete against the FEC for an inland route to Miami that spun off it's mainline in Haines City running down to Everglades City/Clewiston. The museum focuses on Lake Wales' history as a whole, but railroading is by far the most popular and visible theme of the complex. The museum has three rolling stock pieces on display: a Seaboard caboose salvaged from Wildwood, FL, a Pullman Business Car owned by the Central of Georgia during its working life and a Whitcomb yard switcher that used to owned by the Army Corps of Engineers that was used in Italy for post-war reconstruction and later used by a phosphate mining company in Mulberry, FL. The railroad club has it's home in the former Seaboard freight station that was relocated from it's original site in town next door to the ACL station building. It has a large HO scale layout depicting the eastern seaboard with Central Florida a major subject on the largest section. In addition, N, G and O scale layouts are on display.

The last part is a little off topic, but was worth mentioning since it's so much of a part of who I am today as a railfan, former railroad employee and historic preservation advocate as an employee of the National Park Service.

In railroading!!!

trainboy325 :) :D :rolleyes:
Randy Henderson

#20 D.P. Roberts

D.P. Roberts

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Interests:Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles.

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:38 PM

The source of my name is pretty typical for most internet forums- it comes from a movie. In this case, one of my favorites, "The Princess Bride". I just like it because it sounds like it might be my real name, but it's not.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users