Things To Do Near Union Station Chicago?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all.

I'm new to the forum and thankful for the information that I have found so far.

My family is planning to travel from Albuquerque to Penn Station through Chicago (SWC and LSL) in December. This will be our third trip on Amtrak. We are scheduled to have abour a 6 hour layover in Chicago. We would like to see what's near the station (food, tourist destinations, etc.) Anyone have any suggestions? How's that area for walkability, safety? Two adults, a 6 year old and a 10 year old.

Thanks,

tranman

Safety is not a big issue IMHO. You have the Sears Tower couple of blocks away. Grab some Giordino's Pizza and you won't need to eat on the train for a week! :) Its like 2 inches thick. There's a Giordino's on Jackson Street. Also there's Lou Mitchells, its a diner thats been there since 1923, good food, nothing to write home about but a nice change from the Applebee's, Famous Dave's crowd. I really liked it. Are you going to store your luggage at CUS or do you have sleeper accomodations? If you have sleeper accomodations I believe you can leave your luggage at the Metropolitan Lounge and that will save you from renting lockers for your luggage or dragging it all around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, all.

My family is planning to travel from Albuquerque to Penn Station through Chicago (SWC and LSL) in December. This will be our third trip on Amtrak. We are scheduled to have abour a 6 hour layover in Chicago. We would like to see what's near the station (food, tourist destinations, etc.) Anyone have any suggestions? How's that area for walkability, safety? Two adults, a 6 year old and a 10 year old.

Thanks,

tranman
What to do?! I'm just scratching the surface here but Chicago Union Station is less that 4 blocks from the Sears Tower. Go out the Adams street exit and head east. You can't miss it.

There are cool boat tours up and down the Chicago River.

There is also the free trolley to some of the shopping areas such as State Street and Navy Pier.

Millennium Park, The Art Institue and the Adler Planetarium are also on the trolley routes. Just grab a RTA Visitior Transit Map and its all at your finger tips. Amtrak also has an info desk with people there to help.

Enjoy one of our nations best cities!

Mark

Hello, all.

Thanks,

tranman
There are cool boat tours up and down the Chicago River.

Enjoy one of our nations best cities!

Mark
Aloha

While Mark is right about the Cool boat tours, 6 hours is tight and what time do you arrive?

Hear are pictures from my gallery, there are others in the train station under trains.

The walk from Union Station to the magnificient mile is probably the best in the world if you are into tall buildings and architecture...

If you are looking for a good place for a sit down dinner,

A quick 5 block walk west of Union Station and over the Tollway (bridges provided) will take you to Greek Town with lot's of great restaurants and gift shops! My Wife and I regularly sample the food there!

Oops, forgot to tell you that the trip is in late December. We will be arriving at about 3-4pm and leave at about 10pm.

Also, we will be storing our luggage in a locker during the layover...

Oops, forgot to tell you that the trip is in late December. We will be arriving at about 3-4pm and leave at about 10pm.
Well - you could have some interesting weather at that time of the year, and not as much to do after dark as during the day. If it is a clear night, the sears tower would be a great view. They close at 8:00 PM in December, though.

A quick 5 block walk west of Union Station and over the Tollway (bridges provided) will take you to Greek Town with lot's of great restaurants and gift shops! My Wife and I regularly sample the food there!
Could you please tell me what streets you use to do that? Sounds like a great little stroll. I usually exit the station at the main stair case and come out on South Canal St.

Could you please tell me what streets you use to do that? Sounds like a great little stroll. I usually exit the station at the main stair case and come out on South Canal St.

If you come out onto South Canal Street, you can take either Jackson (you'll notice Lou Mitchell's on the south side of the street) or Adams and jog straight west both streets run into Greektown and you won't be able to miss it. If you happen to go there, have a great time!

Hi

IN December there is no free trolley as that is for the summer tourists. Also at that time of day you can go to a pizza place nearby. The Tollway someone mentioned is the Dan Ryan Expressway, but it would be just as easy to walk there on Jackson to greek town or take a cab. A short ride and cheap.

Also if your taking any sleeping compartment, you have no problems storing your bags with the Amtrak lounge for sleeping car passengers. You check in at the lounge, show em your tickets and they have some one there that checks your bags in the same area, or they use a room down the hall. Very easy to do.

I am not a big fan of Lou Mitchells as I have eaten there a few times but not impressed.

Bill

i need to know is there any place some one can wait if there lay over is after 12am?

Interesting how everyone still calls it the "Sears Tower". Sears sold it years ago and it has been the "Willis Tower" for quite some time. I too sometimes call it the Sears Tower in a weak moment. December can be miserable in Chicago--really miserable. But as folks have stated there are great dining options only a few block away-take advantage of one of them-bundle up and enjoy!

Interesting how everyone still calls it the "Sears Tower". Sears sold it years ago and it has been the "Willis Tower" for quite some time. I too sometimes call it the Sears Tower in a weak moment. December can be miserable in Chicago--really miserable. But as folks have stated there are great dining options only a few block away-take advantage of one of them-bundle up and enjoy!
Who is Willis?

I live in Chicago - Sears Tower, Greek Town for food are great ideas! And Lou Mitchell's at 565 W. Jackson is walking distance. Great breakfasts! Everyone's suggestions are really good. Any of the architecture tours are just amazing. And since you have 6 hours, if you are into Architecture, you might want to take a taxi to Oak Park to see some of Frank Lloyd Wright's homes and his house. Also Hemingway's house is there with a museum. I've not been to the museum, but the Wright homes are gorgeous.

If you really want to take the kids somewhere cool, the Museum of Science and Industry is a 15 minute cab ride away.

Aloha
While Mark is right about the Cool boat tours, 6 hours is tight and what time do you arrive?

Hear are pictures from my gallery, there are others in the train station under trains.
Hi GG-1, I wanted to see your pictures :) but the link does not seem to be working.

Junebug

Who is Willis?
Right from the Willis Tower website: In 1988, Sears Roebuck and Company sold and moved out of the building, but the Sears Tower name remained the same. It was renamed Willis Tower in 2009 after the Willis Group Holdings, the global insurance broker who calls the Tower its Midwest home.

We who live in Chicago wouldn't dream of calling it Willis...or Willie. Maybe Wee Willie would work ;)

Safety is not a big issue IMHO. You have the Sears Tower couple of blocks away. Grab some Giordino's Pizza and you won't need to eat on the train for a week!
smile.gif
Its like 2 inches thick. There's a Giordino's on Jackson Street. Also there's Lou Mitchells, its a diner thats been there since 1923, good food, nothing to write home about but a nice change from the Applebee's, Famous Dave's crowd. I really liked it. Are you going to store your luggage at CUS or do you have sleeper accomodations? If you have sleeper accomodations I believe you can leave your luggage at the Metropolitan Lounge and that will save you from renting lockers for your luggage or dragging it all around.
Giordano's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back