Quantcast

Photo

Things To Do Near Union Station Chicago?

120 replies to this topic

#1 tranman

tranman

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:24 PM

Hello, all.

I'm new to the forum and thankful for the information that I have found so far.

My family is planning to travel from Albuquerque to Penn Station through Chicago (SWC and LSL) in December. This will be our third trip on Amtrak. We are scheduled to have abour a 6 hour layover in Chicago. We would like to see what's near the station (food, tourist destinations, etc.) Anyone have any suggestions? How's that area for walkability, safety? Two adults, a 6 year old and a 10 year old.

Thanks,

tranman

#2 RailFanLNK

RailFanLNK

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:29 PM

Safety is not a big issue IMHO. You have the Sears Tower couple of blocks away. Grab some Giordino's Pizza and you won't need to eat on the train for a week! :) Its like 2 inches thick. There's a Giordino's on Jackson Street. Also there's Lou Mitchells, its a diner thats been there since 1923, good food, nothing to write home about but a nice change from the Applebee's, Famous Dave's crowd. I really liked it. Are you going to store your luggage at CUS or do you have sleeper accomodations? If you have sleeper accomodations I believe you can leave your luggage at the Metropolitan Lounge and that will save you from renting lockers for your luggage or dragging it all around.

Edited by rail rookie, 11 June 2007 - 09:59 PM.

I have travelled on the California Zephyr, Lakeshore Limited, Carolinian, Acela, Capital Limited, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Missouri River Runners, Texas Eagle, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Hiawatha Service and the Cardinal.

#3 Mark

Mark

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:34 PM

Hello, all.

My family is planning to travel from Albuquerque to Penn Station through Chicago (SWC and LSL) in December. This will be our third trip on Amtrak. We are scheduled to have abour a 6 hour layover in Chicago. We would like to see what's near the station (food, tourist destinations, etc.) Anyone have any suggestions? How's that area for walkability, safety? Two adults, a 6 year old and a 10 year old.

Thanks,

tranman

What to do?! I'm just scratching the surface here but Chicago Union Station is less that 4 blocks from the Sears Tower. Go out the Adams street exit and head east. You can't miss it.

There are cool boat tours up and down the Chicago River.

There is also the free trolley to some of the shopping areas such as State Street and Navy Pier.

Millennium Park, The Art Institue and the Adler Planetarium are also on the trolley routes. Just grab a RTA Visitior Transit Map and its all at your finger tips. Amtrak also has an info desk with people there to help.

Enjoy one of our nations best cities!

Mark

#4 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,401 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:02 PM

Hello, all.

Thanks,

tranman

There are cool boat tours up and down the Chicago River.

Enjoy one of our nations best cities!

Mark

Aloha

While Mark is right about the Cool boat tours, 6 hours is tight and what time do you arrive?
Hear are pictures from my gallery, there are others in the train station under trains.

Eric aka GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks

Picture Galleries Posted Image

#5 Faraz

Faraz

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Squash, guitar, web surfing, audio books

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:50 PM

The walk from Union Station to the magnificient mile is probably the best in the world if you are into tall buildings and architecture...
AmtrakDelays.com
Check on-time performance of Amtrak trains upto 3 weeks into the past

#6 frj1983

frj1983

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:00 AM

If you are looking for a good place for a sit down dinner,

A quick 5 block walk west of Union Station and over the Tollway (bridges provided) will take you to Greek Town with lot's of great restaurants and gift shops! My Wife and I regularly sample the food there!

#7 Guest_Guest_tranman_*_*

Guest_Guest_tranman_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:08 AM

Oops, forgot to tell you that the trip is in late December. We will be arriving at about 3-4pm and leave at about 10pm.

#8 Guest_Guest_tranman_*_*

Guest_Guest_tranman_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:10 AM

Also, we will be storing our luggage in a locker during the layover...

#9 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,044 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:16 AM

Oops, forgot to tell you that the trip is in late December. We will be arriving at about 3-4pm and leave at about 10pm.

Well - you could have some interesting weather at that time of the year, and not as much to do after dark as during the day. If it is a clear night, the sears tower would be a great view. They close at 8:00 PM in December, though.

#10 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:39 PM

Just FYI, when I checked on the Sears Tower last summer for my family, it was pretty expensive.

#11 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,044 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:08 PM

Just FYI, when I checked on the Sears Tower last summer for my family, it was pretty expensive.

Adults are $12.95 and kids 3-11 are $9.50, Under 3, free.

#12 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

A quick 5 block walk west of Union Station and over the Tollway (bridges provided) will take you to Greek Town with lot's of great restaurants and gift shops! My Wife and I regularly sample the food there!

Could you please tell me what streets you use to do that? Sounds like a great little stroll. I usually exit the station at the main stair case and come out on South Canal St.

#13 frj1983

frj1983

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:37 AM

Could you please tell me what streets you use to do that? Sounds like a great little stroll. I usually exit the station at the main stair case and come out on South Canal St.

If you come out onto South Canal Street, you can take either Jackson (you'll notice Lou Mitchell's on the south side of the street) or Adams and jog straight west both streets run into Greektown and you won't be able to miss it. If you happen to go there, have a great time!

Edited by frj1983, 13 June 2007 - 07:38 AM.

#14 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:21 AM

Hi
IN December there is no free trolley as that is for the summer tourists. Also at that time of day you can go to a pizza place nearby. The Tollway someone mentioned is the Dan Ryan Expressway, but it would be just as easy to walk there on Jackson to greek town or take a cab. A short ride and cheap.
Also if your taking any sleeping compartment, you have no problems storing your bags with the Amtrak lounge for sleeping car passengers. You check in at the lounge, show em your tickets and they have some one there that checks your bags in the same area, or they use a room down the hall. Very easy to do.
I am not a big fan of Lou Mitchells as I have eaten there a few times but not impressed.
Bill

#15 Guest_ms sue_*

Guest_ms sue_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

i need to know is there any place some one can wait if there lay over is after 12am?

#16 montana mike

montana mike

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, golf, hiking, train trips!

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

Interesting how everyone still calls it the "Sears Tower".  Sears sold it years ago and it has been the "Willis Tower" for quite some time.   I too sometimes call it the Sears Tower in a weak moment.  December can be miserable in Chicago--really miserable.  But as folks have stated there are great dining options only a few block away-take advantage of one of them-bundle up and enjoy!

#17 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

Interesting how everyone still calls it the "Sears Tower".  Sears sold it years ago and it has been the "Willis Tower" for quite some time.   I too sometimes call it the Sears Tower in a weak moment.  December can be miserable in Chicago--really miserable.  But as folks have stated there are great dining options only a few block away-take advantage of one of them-bundle up and enjoy!

Who is Willis?

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(5) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(4), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (5) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (4), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58 (1) #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (3), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63 San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422, Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 53,591 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#18 FriskyFL

FriskyFL

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

http://en.m.wikipedi...ki/Willis_Tower

Willis is a big multinational insurance brokerage and major tenant. They obtained the naming rights as part of their lease.

#19 junebug

junebug

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

I live in Chicago - Sears Tower, Greek Town for food are great ideas! And Lou Mitchell's at 565 W. Jackson is walking distance. Great breakfasts! Everyone's suggestions are really good. Any of the architecture tours are just amazing. And since you have 6 hours, if you are into Architecture, you might want to take a taxi to Oak Park to see some of Frank Lloyd Wright's homes and his house. Also Hemingway's house is there with a museum. I've not been to the museum, but the Wright homes are gorgeous.

If you really want to take the kids somewhere cool, the Museum of Science and Industry is a 15 minute cab ride away.

Edited by junebug, 14 August 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#20 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

If you are really into architecture, and Chicago is world famous for its, I would recommend perusing this site for all kinds of tours and other info....

http://www.architecture.org/tours

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users