Virgin Trains launch biodiesel trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesontheroad

OBS Chief
As reported on Sky News:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1269399,00.html

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1269399,00.html

Branson To Launch Eco-Friendly TrainUpdated: 06:34, Thursday June 07, 2007

Sir Richard Branson is to launch Europe's first biodiesel train on his Virgin rail network.

The train is said to be the first in the continent to use a blended fuel which can significantly reduce CO2 emissions.

It is part of a national biodiesel programme to get the rail industry to go green.

As part of a national trial, Virgin Trains will run one of its Voyagers on a 20% biodiesel blend.

"This is a pioneering step we're taking," said Sir Richard.

"If the trial is a success - and we believe it will be - and we can convert our Voyager fleet to run on B20 biodiesel we could cut our CO2 emissions by up to 14%.

"This means 34,500 tonnes less CO2 being emitted into the atmosphere each year, and is equivalent to taking 23,000 cars off the road."

Prime Minister-in-waiting Gordon Brown, who will be at today's launch of the train, said: "I want Britain to be a world leader in the development and use of environmentally-friendly fuels, and I believe they will play a fundamental part in our efforts to reduce emissions and tackle climate change.

"I wish Virgin every success with these pilot schemes and I look forward to hearing the results."

All profits made by the Virgin train and plane companies for the next 10 years will be invested into developing clean fuels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, all very well and politically correct of Sir Dick, but political bollocks from Gordy Brown. This is the man who has held the purse strings of this country for the past 10 years and who therefore is behind the cancellation of all the urban light rail schemes that would have made a huge contribution to CO2 emissions in Leeds, Liverpool, Bristol and Portsmouth. So while we deforest the planet to plant fuel-plants, everyone has forgotten the obvious - string up more 25kv overheads. Its a scandal that this diesel Virgin Voyager travelled the first 158 miles of its journey under the wires just because the remaining 68 miles are not wired.

The last time I traveled on Virgin, they switched the engine at Crewe from a Pendolino to a diesel on the North Wales Coast Line, but on the way back, the entire route was a Voyager, which saved almost thirty minutes. So those last 68 miles are a good reason to use Voyagers all the way through.

The last time I traveled on Virgin, they switched the engine at Crewe from a Pendolino to a diesel on the North Wales Coast Line, but on the way back, the entire route was a Voyager, which saved almost thirty minutes. So those last 68 miles are a good reason to use Voyagers all the way through.
A good point in terms of operating convenience, but when there is a choice, I hardly think burning diesel is better than burning electricity. Even where there are wires all the way, such as Birmingham to Glasgow/Edinburgh, Virgin plan to use Voyagers for self contained journeys. It just isnt right. That would be like running self contained trips on the NEC with diesels.

The MBTA trains that run between Boston South Station and Providence do normally run with diesels, as far as I know, even though those trains normally run on the same track over which Amtrak relies on overhead power. (If the tracks via Back Bay etc happen to be unavailable, the MBTA could skip those stops between Readville and South Station and take the Fairmount line, and the satellite photos suggest that the Fairmount line lacks overhead power.) I believe all MBTA commuter rail trains run diesels, and I believe the Providence line is the only MBTA commuter rail line that happens to have overhead power available.

Given that most electricity (in the US, at least) is currently produced by burning fossil fuels, it's not clear to me that the overhead lines really save much polution at the moment. (Bigger plants may be more efficient at generating than a diesel locomotive, but the flip side of that is that the overhead lines do lose a bit of the energy they're trying to transmit.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've felt that Amtrak should make the effort to run one line -- such as #42/43/44 -- on biodiesel.

Problem is the EPA, and of course the cash to make whatever needed mechanical changes to the locomotives. I understand NOx emissions are greater under biodiesel, but CO2 emissions are less.

The MBTA trains that run between Boston South Station and Providence do normally run with diesels, as far as I know, even though those trains normally run on the same track over which Amtrak relies on overhead power. (If the tracks via Back Bay etc happen to be unavailable, the MBTA could skip those stops between Readville and South Station and take the Fairmount line, and the satellite photos suggest that the Fairmount line lacks overhead power.) I believe all MBTA commuter rail trains run diesels, and I believe the Providence line is the only MBTA commuter rail line that happens to have overhead power available.
The Fairmount line does indeed lack overhead power. However the main reason that the MBTA doesn't have electric motors isn't so that they can run down the Fairmount line when problems occur, it's simply because they don't want the extra expense of maintaining two types of engines. I also don't believe that the Fairmount line has much excess capacity, so even in an emergency, the T can't divert all that many trains that way.

Back