MTA Metro North Railroad Train Stations.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Thursday I was going to the Yonkers Train Station and they are working at the station and I just saw the Ticket Machines not the Ticket Office and where is that Ticket Office?

I think that the ticket office has been closed due to the rebuilding of the station. To my knowledge, once all the construction is finished, the ticket office will reopen.

I'm not sure what the timetable is for completing the renovations. I do know that they been working on this station for over one year now.

Hello there I was Email MTA Metro North Railroad about when the Yonkers Train Station ending with its work and somebody E mail me this afternoon and George Okvat say:

The work at the Station is the part of a project to improve several Hudson Line station and the project is scheduled to be finished by December 2004.

Today when I am at the Yonkers Railroad Station I dont saw the Amtrak Quik-Trak ticket machine into this work and how the people who lives in Yonkers NY need to buy tickets to go on the Amtrak Trains?

Amtrak Railfan said:
Today when I am at the Yonkers Railroad Station I dont saw the Amtrak Quik-Trak ticket machine into this work and how the people who lives in Yonkers NY need to buy tickets to go on the Amtrak Trains?
Probably either on board or via the 800#?

And Today when the Southbound Ethan Allen Express Amtrak Train from Rutland VT enters Yonkers Train Station and I saw no body board the Train to New York Penn Station today.

Amtrak Railfan said:
And Today when the Southbound Ethan Allen Express Amtrak Train from Rutland VT enters Yonkers Train Station and I saw no body board the Train to New York Penn Station today.
...maybe those passengers bound for New York Penn Station that didn't board the Ethan Allen instead took the Maple Leaf, the Adirondack, or the Empire Service?

Amtrak Railfan said:
I'm also not surprised, since very few people will take Amtrak from Yonkers to New York. Why pay $18 bucks for Amtrak, when you can ride Metro North to NY for $5.50.

Generally the only time someone would ride from Yonkers to Penn, would be if they are connecting to another Amtrak train. There are not that many people who would be connecting, plus they have multiple trains to choose from.

I thought I read somewhere that Amtrak could not sell tickets for local service between Croton Harmon and Penn Station per their agreement with the MTA (without that customer connecting to some other Amtrak service at NYP). However, I am sure there are numerous people who do this anyway especially from Penn north.

tp49 said:
I thought I read somewhere that Amtrak could not sell tickets for local service between Croton Harmon and Penn Station per their agreement with the MTA (without that customer connecting to some other Amtrak service at NYP). However, I am sure there are numerous people who do this anyway especially from Penn north.
Well the wording on that rule is a little confusing, but you are almost correct. The rule is that you can't buy an Amtrak ticket to travel between stations that are served by Metro North, unless you are connecting to another Amtrak train.

Metro North does not serve Penn, so the rule does not apply. Therefore one can buy Amtrak tickets from Yonkers, Croton Harmon, and Poughkeepsie to Penn. You can't however get an Amtrak ticket to ride between say Yonkers and Croton Harmon, unless you are transfering to the LSL. You also can't ride between Poughkeepsie and either Croton Harman or Yonkers.

If they are going to NY, they can take either Amtrak or Metro North. Although Metro North is a lot cheaper to ride.

On the other hand someone going from Yonkers to Croton Harmon can only take Metro North. They cannot take Amtrak for a Yonkers to Croton Harmon trip.

Well, then I really doubt anyways that there would be no passengers to board or detrain at Yonkers since it is a good size city/town. However, if this were true the train may make a quick two second stop or roll though the station at a slow speed. This all has to be done with permission from the Conductor, Station Master, and Dispatcher.

Don't know if this fits in here or not but does anyone up in MN territory know if they changed their policy re the penalty fare charged on trains as the LIRR did. I heard that now on the LIRR they are charging the penalty if a ticket is bought on any train period does not matter if the ticket office is closed or no ticket machine is available at the station.

TP49,

I haven't heard that one for either RR. To my knowledge the policy remains that unless there is a TVM or an open station, then one can buy a ticket without penalty.

However if there is a TVM and most stops now have one, then you will pay a penalty for buying on the train.

I may know more about MN after this weekend, as I'll be using it on Labor Day from Beacon, NY to GCT. Last I knew Beacon did not have a TVM and the ticket office is only open for rush hours. So while I've already brought my ticket, if I see the conductor charging penalties I'll let you know. Normally when I ride this train on this holiday, I find that fully half those boarding do not have tickets.

I noticed when I rode MNRR last year that the Conductor was cutting a lot of tickets, but only at certain stations. I would assume that a penalty would be assesed if you do not have a ticket just as Amtrak does and the ticket office is open.

Back