Benefits of Select Status?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faraz

Train Attendant
I am only 1500 points away from select staus. What are the tangible benefits you have found useful? The website says:

Two space-available, one-class seating upgrades.

Does this mean automatic all the time , or one has to pay extra or something?

Well first off one of the better benefits is that you now get a 25% point bonus on all points that you earn for Amtrak travel. So for example, if you take a trip that normally would earn you 100 AGR points, you'll now get 125 points for said trip.

Then they send you a kit that includes a special membership card, along with phone numbers that bypass Julie when you want to make phone reservations.

Finally the kit includes several coupons that do various things. The first is the magazine coupon, that you don't really use. But you can go to the AGR site, click on a link or two, and get a 2,500 point bonus. Officially this is supposed to allow you to get a magazine subscription using points, but there is no reason that you must do that. In fact I suspect that most people just take the points and use them for train travel.

Then there are coupons for entry to either a Club Acela or Metropolitan lounge for one day when traveling on Amtrak in a class that does not normally allow entry to the lounges.

Finally the coupon that you are asking about, the upgrade coupon. You get two of those, that are good for a one class upgrade on the day of travel. The coupon allows one to upgrade from coach to business class or from business class to first class on Acela Express. You cannot use the coupon to upgrade to a sleeper. One buys the lower class ticket and then on the day of departure, no more than 1 hour before the scheduled departure time, you present the lower class ticket or reservation number, along with the coupon. Assuming that space is still available, you then get upgraded for free.

There are several restrictions to be cautious about with these. The first is, that it must be a full price ticket. You cannot buy the ticket using any discount code, AAA discount, or NARP discount. If you do buy the ticket with a discount, the agent must cancel that reservation and issue a new one, which could mean that you pay more if the bucket got kicked since you originally brought the ticket.

There are of course blackout dates around the major holidays where one cannot use the coupon. And of course as I mentioned above, you cannot do it prior to 1 hour before departure.

Thanks for the detailed info! The instant 2500 bonus points sounds interesting, wouldn't that put you into select+ status? Also what do you have to do to mantain the select status?

The instant 2500 bonus points sounds interesting, wouldn't that put you into select+ status? Also what do you have to do to mantain the select status?
No, the 2,500 bonus points won't help with status. Status can only be earned based upon the points earned by riding Amtrak, and then only the base points count. Bonus points of any type do not count towards status, nor do points earned from other sources like the online mall or from say Hilton Honors. One needs to earn 5,000 base points each calendar year to maintain Select Status, and 10,000 base points to achieve/maintain Select Plus status.

The status however is conferred from March 1st thru the end of February the following year. Now if I recall correctly, since you'd be earning it for the first time during this year, you'll get a bit of a bonus in that you'll have Select status for the rest of this year as well as for next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then there are coupons for entry to either a Club Acela or Metropolitan lounge for one day when traveling on Amtrak in a class that does not normally allow entry to the lounges.
Finally the coupon that you are asking about, the upgrade coupon. You get two of those, that are good for a one class upgrade on the day of travel. The coupon allows one to upgrade from coach to business class or from business class to first class on Acela Express. You cannot use the coupon to upgrade to a sleeper.

Interesting that these two benefits are something most long distance travellers can not use. There should be a sleeper upgrade or roomette-to-bedroom upgrade option.

There are several restrictions to be cautious about with these. The first is, that it must be a full price ticket. You cannot buy the ticket using any discount code, AAA discount, or NARP discount. If you do buy the ticket with a discount, the agent must cancel that reservation and issue a new one, which could mean that you pay more if the bucket got kicked since you originally brought the ticket.
I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. There was much arguing back and forth within Amtrak about that issue. The official policy is that, when using the upgrade coupon, one would *never* have to pay a higher bucket fare than booked (which, in many cases, would require a manual override). It was implied that you would have to lose the discount. However, this year, the upgrade coupons have a line that reads something to the effect of (going off of memory here since I don't have a coupon handy to check) "agent must not collect additional fare from original fare paid." That line would imply that even discounts such as AAA/NARP would not be forfeited when using the coupons.

If someone has a coupon handy, they can look it up easily enough (it's in the fine print on the back), otherwise, I'll check when I actually find them, wherever they happen to be hiding at the moment.

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. There was much arguing back and forth within Amtrak about that issue. The official policy is that, when using the upgrade coupon, one would *never* have to pay a higher bucket fare than booked (which, in many cases, would require a manual override). It was implied that you would have to lose the discount. However, this year, the upgrade coupons have a line that reads something to the effect of (going off of memory here since I don't have a coupon handy to check) "agent must not collect additional fare from original fare paid." That line would imply that even discounts such as AAA/NARP would not be forfeited when using the coupons.

If someone has a coupon handy, they can look it up easily enough (it's in the fine print on the back), otherwise, I'll check when I actually find them, wherever they happen to be hiding at the moment.
You are partially correct, if one has made the correct reservation prior to submitting the coupon, then one does not have to pay for any increases in the pricing bucket system. However, if one fails to book a fare that is valid for the promotion, then all bets are off. Valid fares are as follows:

VALID PSGR-TYPES: PF = REG ADULT; PE = SENIOR; H = ACCOMP CHILD; PW = DISAB ADULT; V = DISAB CHILD; DC = DISAB COMPANION;

WM = M-I ADULT; WC = M-I COMPANION
So AAA, NARP, and other discounts are not valid passenger types. And therefore I would believe that the agent would have no choice but to cancel the original reservation and make a new one at the prevailing price. I'm not even sure if the agent can tell what bucket the discounted fare was from, since it was discounted.

And finally, while there is a line "agent must not collect additional fare from original fare paid." if one doesn't have a valid original ticket, then that line would not matter IMHO.

Just a quick question. If I buy a $20 ticket, I would normally get 100 points since that is the minimum for any ticket under $50. If I have Select PLUS would I get 150 points or just 100? If I did get 150, how many of those points would count as RAIL points toward status for the following year?

Just a quick question. If I buy a $20 ticket, I would normally get 100 points since that is the minimum for any ticket under $50. If I have Select PLUS would I get 150 points or just 100? If I did get 150, how many of those points would count as RAIL points toward status for the following year?
With Select Plus status you would get 150 AGR rail points. That amount includes 100 points for the ticket itself all of which would count towards status. The other 50 points represents the 50% bonus for Select Plus status and does not count towards status for the next year.

Interesting that these two benefits are something most long distance travellers can not use. There should be a sleeper upgrade or roomette-to-bedroom upgrade option.
I agree. And this, along with the larger point allocation for Acela rides (Business Class 500, First Class 750 v. 2 points per $1) leads me to believe that AGR is designed for and targeted at folks who live in the Northeast and have the option of riding the train between Boston and Washington.

For $200, I can earn 1000 AGR points by riding the Acela to New York in Business Class. That same $200 gets me 400 AGR points on any other train. Given the desparate point distribution between Acela and every other train, the only AGR Select or Select Plus members outside of the Northeast would be people that commute on Amtrak.

Rick

I agree. And this, along with the larger point allocation for Acela rides (Business Class 500, First Class 750 v. 2 points per $1) leads me to believe that AGR is designed for and targeted at folks who live in the Northeast and have the option of riding the train between Boston and Washington.

For $200, I can earn 1000 AGR points by riding the Acela to New York in Business Class. That same $200 gets me 400 AGR points on any other train. Given the desparate point distribution between Acela and every other train, the only AGR Select or Select Plus members outside of the Northeast would be people that commute on Amtrak.

Rick
There is no doubt in my mind that the AGR program was designed to reward the frequent Business traveler on the NEC. Everything is geared towards that and was even more so when the program first came out. About two years ago Amtrak attempted to address that inequity a bit, when they came out with the 100 point mimum. Prior to that, it was really hard for a commuter on a non-NEC train to gain any type of status.

Part of the idea was the hope that those business travelers on the NEC would then take their points and try out the long distance service, since it would be like a free vacation for them. This would do two things, one help to fill up the LD's a bit more, and two possible convert some people to riding the LD's in the future even without points. That's one reason that the policy is so liberal, with only some blackout dates, but with no capacity controls.

Speaking of people in the Northeast, I've got a day trip to Metropark, NJ tomorrow. This ride will put me over the top for Select status. Here's hoping that the points and status posts before I ride the auto train next month. I'd love to get a 25% bonus from my sleeper and car fare on the Auto Train.

Rick

Speaking of people in the Northeast, I've got a day trip to Metropark, NJ tomorrow. This ride will put me over the top for Select status. Here's hoping that the points and status posts before I ride the auto train next month. I'd love to get a 25% bonus from my sleeper and car fare on the Auto Train.
Rick
I'd say that you've got a very good chance that the points should be up before your trip. It shouldn't take more than 2 weeks for them to post, unless there is some problem. And even if you don't have your kit and new AGR card, your online account will show the new status once this trip posts and the AT trip will automatically accrue the bonus.

Rick
I think you have to wait until next year to get the benefits.

As a somewhat local to metropark, I am curious what possessed you to go? Work?

Rick
I think you have to wait until next year to get the benefits.
No, AFAIK, as soon as he qualifies he gets the status for the rest of this year, and for next year. It's a bit of a bonus that AGR gives out.

Alan,

When you become Select or Select Plus during the middle of the year, do they send you a kit and a card. I live outside of the NEC and would love to be able to use the Metro Lounges for the remainder of this year if I qualify.

Alan,
When you become Select or Select Plus during the middle of the year, do they send you a kit and a card. I live outside of the NEC and would love to be able to use the Metro Lounges for the remainder of this year if I qualify.
It seems to be hit or miss about getting the actual kit if you qualify during the middle of the year. Generally from reports that I've seen, the earlier in the year that you qualify, the better the chance that you'll get the kit. Most people that I've seen reporting, who qualified after September/October, did not get kits. If they qualified before that, generally they do seem to get kits.

As a somewhat local to metropark, I am curious what possessed you to go? Work?
Metropark = work a/k/a the thing I do for money. I went down to visit the East Coast office of a West Coast client of mine. The office is a very easy walk from the train station. In fact my primary contact has a very good view of the station from his office. If I had that office, my productivity would plummet. :lol:

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back