• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 had8ley

had8ley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts
  • Interests:"There's nothin' nicer than "dinner In the diner." After 30 plus years of pulling cabooses and pax trains around it's time for someone else to pull me around...

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:17 PM

Fellow list members and administrators;
It is quite apparent that we are all Amtrak fans. Our only hopes is that it gets bigger and better. Something clicked when I was informed that 30th Street in Philly was not the dungeon that it used to be. How about we try to have a meeting of all the people who post. I know it's not possible for everyone to attend, and depending on where you live it might not be financially practical. I know there would be some good discussions when all the faces match up with the poster's names.
Perhaps we could schmooze someone at Amtrak into letting us use one of the club rooms for a meeting place. Boston is by far the nicest but my choice would be Philadelphia just for old times sake. Since many of the posters seem to come from up north (sorry George and Amtrak WPK) perhaps we could plan a fall meeting when the kids are back in school and the fares are not as high as in peak season. Who knows~ a few might even be able to upgrade to sleeper for 50% off on board. This is just an idea and if it is not a good one I promise not to be belligerent. Any takers or ideas ???

Edited by had8ley, 25 April 2007 - 01:23 PM.

#2 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,772 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:26 PM

Fellow list members and administrators;
It is quite apparent that we are all Amtrak fans. Our only hopes is that it gets bigger and better. Something clicked when I was informed that 30th Street in Philly was not the dungeon that it used to be. How about we try to have a meeting of all the people who post. I know it's not possible for everyone to attend, and depending on where you live it might not be financially practical. I know there would be some good discussions when all the faces match up with the poster's names.
Perhaps we could schmooze someone at Amtrak into letting us use one of the club rooms for a meeting place. Boston is by far the nicest but my choice would be Philadelphia just for old times sake. Since many of the posters seem to come from up north (sorry George and Amtrak WPK) perhaps we could plan a fall meeting when the kids are back in school and the fares are not as high as in peak season. Who knows~ a few might even be able to upgrade to sleeper for 50% off on board. This is just an idea and if it is not a good one I promise not to be belligerent. Any takers or ideas ???

I have often thought how interesting it would be to meet other members of this board (I have met two so far) and would suggest Chicago. Centrally located in the US and the main cross/connect point for lots of trains! I'll be there in August and would love to meet some other folks to share a meal and more train talk.

#3 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

Chicago does seem to be a better, more central location. I would be interested.

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:46 PM

I second Chicago- more centraly located.

#5 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:44 PM

If it's in Chicago, I'll be there for sure. I think this is a great idea!!! Any month is ok with me.

I hope this materializes.

Can the administrators "pin" this to help get the ball rolling?
Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha   64,611 Amtrak miles

#6 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:14 PM

I have met up with members from this forum on various railfest in New York, Chicago, Philadalphia, ettc. These guys have become great friends and I now plan my travels and life around these fests. LOL. Havaing a meeting someplace would be a cool idea. I live in Chicago, but would seriously consider any meeting place.

#7 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

I'd love to come. Actually I'm trying to pull together my team members (from AGZ, see sig) this summer to meet in chicago. just lem know where (in CHI) and when and I'll try and make it.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#8 RailFanLNK

RailFanLNK

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:13 PM

Had8ley and others,
I religiously follow an alternative cow-punk band (yes, you read that right) from Nashville named Jason and The Scorchers. They are a "cult" band. It means what fans are stilling following them do so rabidly. We have all visited via internet since the mid-90's. We have all gotten together at the bands handful of shows since the band is in semi-retirement. We are all getting together June 1st and 2nd in Nashville. We all get along real well and I have gotten very close friendships from it. I would LOVE to meet some people here on this forum. I vote for CHICAGO!!!!! I'm going there this weekend for $78.00 RT. I'm staying at the HI Hostel for $33.00 for one night. So if funds are a major problem for some, you can still do it for not a whole lot. And since Amtrak is in Chicago, would they have a place where we could all meet? Could we meet Kummant? Just a thought!

Al

I have travelled on the California Zephyr, Lakeshore Limited, Carolinian, Acela, Capital Limited, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Missouri River Runners, Texas Eagle, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Hiawatha Service and the Cardinal.

#9 RailFanLNK

RailFanLNK

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:17 PM

Sorry....but I do a good bit of travelling, if this gets off the ground, and if Chicago (or whatever major city) gets picked, make for sure there's not a huge convention in town the same time or pick a hotel near a major sports stadium. The closer it gets to Christmas, the tougher it will be for me and others. How bout the week ending October 20th? I'm on vacation that week! :lol: The fall colors will be beautiful! :) We won't be getting blizzarded in anywhere yet! :) And did I say I'm on vacation that week! :lol:

I have travelled on the California Zephyr, Lakeshore Limited, Carolinian, Acela, Capital Limited, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Missouri River Runners, Texas Eagle, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Hiawatha Service and the Cardinal.

#10 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:20 AM

Sorry....but I do a good bit of travelling, if this gets off the ground, and if Chicago (or whatever major city) gets picked, make for sure there's not a huge convention in town the same time or pick a hotel near a major sports stadium. The closer it gets to Christmas, the tougher it will be for me and others. How bout the week ending October 20th? I'm on vacation that week! :lol: The fall colors will be beautiful! :) We won't be getting blizzarded in anywhere yet! :) And did I say I'm on vacation that week! :lol:

Christmas? I think most of us (I'm putting word in peoples mouths here, I know) were thinking of the summer. Fall would be nice, but then those of us who have school couldn't come. I do know that in July there is the NMRA convention in Detroit and so most AMTK trains to chicago will be full. If the group decides, I have a contact at the Illinois RR museum.... :D or we could just sit over the yard and railfan :D

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#11 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,757 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:44 AM

[Christmas? I think most of us (I'm putting word in peoples mouths here, I know) were thinking of the summer. Fall would be nice, but then those of us who have school couldn't come. I do know that in July there is the NMRA convention in Detroit and so most AMTK trains to chicago will be full. If the group decides, I have a contact at the Illinois RR museum.... :D or we could just sit over the yard and railfan :D

Since many of the posters seem to come from up north (sorry George and Amtrak WPK) perhaps we could plan a fall meeting when the kids are back in school and the fares are not as high as in peak season.

Based upon the original post, I thought that most people were thinking fall. :)
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#12 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:03 AM

I think this is great. PerRock, I live about 3 minutes from the Illinois Railroad Museum in Union. Would your contact be able to provide brochures or something? I could run over and pick them up. I'm in Union to go to the post office a couple times a week.

Hey everyone - let's do this!

The 2nd or 3rd week of October is usually when Northern Illinois is in full color and the weather is usually still nice. I say "usually" because as most of you know, if you don't like the weather in Chicago, wait 5 minutes and it will change. Summers in Chicago can be unbearably hot and humid. The humidity can really do you in.

Does anyone volunteer to organize this?

Can our administrators "pin" this? Maybe change the topic name to be more indicative of a get-to-gether.
Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha   64,611 Amtrak miles

#13 had8ley

had8ley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts
  • Interests:"There's nothin' nicer than "dinner In the diner." After 30 plus years of pulling cabooses and pax trains around it's time for someone else to pull me around...

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:42 PM

I think this is great. PerRock, I live about 3 minutes from the Illinois Railroad Museum in Union. Would your contact be able to provide brochures or something? I could run over and pick them up. I'm in Union to go to the post office a couple times a week.

Hey everyone - let's do this!

The 2nd or 3rd week of October is usually when Northern Illinois is in full color and the weather is usually still nice. I say "usually" because as most of you know, if you don't like the weather in Chicago, wait 5 minutes and it will change. Summers in Chicago can be unbearably hot and humid. The humidity can really do you in.

Does anyone volunteer to organize this?

Can our administrators "pin" this? Maybe change the topic name to be more indicative of a get-to-gether.

Alan B~ what do you think about pinning this? My Topic selection wasn't that bright and I have no qualms about changing it as Everydaymatters suggests. There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm to see this happen and with your help I think we can make it a go.

#14 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,772 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:44 PM

Alan B~ what do you think about pinning this? My Topic selection wasn't that bright and I have no qualms about changing it as Everydaymatters suggests. There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm to see this happen and with your help I think we can make it a go.

Where is Kevin K when we need him He seems to organize these things very well. Didn't they have an OTOL get together a few years ago in Chicago?

#15 AKA

AKA

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:44 PM

Chicago in the fall? Iam in. Sounds great. Chicago is one of our day trips from Ohio. Oct. would be a good month too. :D :D :D I would bet that some of us where on trains togeather and did not know it thru the years. It would be great to put faces to names. Did I mention Iam in. :D :D :D

#16 amymaree

amymaree

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:trains, children, playing, art, crafts, learning.<br /><br />grandfather was a train master for seaboard so it is in my blood.<br /><br />train trip <br />amtrak mia to new york 1994<br />amtrak wpk to dc may 2007

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:54 PM

hey there,

i ll be on the silver meteor on may 23 out of winter park florida if anyone else on this board happens to be going on the same train. i grew up with seaboard coastline trains, my pa was train something at the station in savannah and somewhere else. so talking about trains would bore my children and husband but talking to someone else on the train would be great.

we will be in d.c. for a week and then heading back to winter park on the 29th. hope to hear from someone.

as for the meeting up, i would love too but due to my mommy duties cannot unless we have a local get together which is easier. we should make chapters like the red hat society.

until i read again,
amy

#17 Rafi

Rafi

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Location:Baltimore, MD (primary); Culpeper, VA; Washington, DC

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:56 PM

I'm in, too, so long as it happens on a weekend (preferably a Saturday, since many of us would probably need to overnight it—if it's in Chicago—leaving on Friday). I'd probably have to swing taking the Monday morning off, so I'd have time to meet everyone and then leave on Sunday (hoping that the Capitol isn't TOO late).

Then again, I could just fly Southwest, but there's just something wrong with flying in to meet train friends. <grin>

-Rafi
Travel with me by rail around the world at Rafi on the Rails!

#18 had8ley

had8ley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:23 PM

I'm in, too, so long as it happens on a weekend (preferably a Saturday, since many of us would probably need to overnight it—if it's in Chicago—leaving on Friday). I'd probably have to swing taking the Monday morning off, so I'd have time to meet everyone and then leave on Sunday (hoping that the Capitol isn't TOO late).

Then again, I could just fly Southwest, but there's just something wrong with flying in to meet train friends. <grin>

-Rafi

Rafi;
I've even been blasted for mentioning the airplane word....hope you get there any way you can.

#19 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:39 PM

It looks like the majority favors Chicago.

As for the time of year, not everyone gave an opinion. Some of us are students, where summer would be best before classes start - but we've only heard from one of the students. Are there others?

I'd prefer October, but I'm flexible and can go just about anytime. Are there others who wanted fall, but are also flexible?

#20 Windy City LSA

Windy City LSA

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:54 PM

Sheesh...I can't really say no if this does in fact happen in Chicago! :D I don't know that I'd contribute much to rail conversation, but I'm all for meeting folks from here! Anytime is ok with me. If October, the earlier the better. The weather can be dicey. I'm not skilled at organizing such things, but would be willing to try to help if called upon. As for the notion of Amtrak providing a meeting space, I don't think that's too likely unless there is an insider who could make that happen. Venue selection would depend a lot upon how many individuals plan to attend I would think.
Amtrak Miles-I lost track...but one day I'll sit down and figure it out! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users