1st train set to run on my Expanded layout

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P40Power

OBS Chief
Well after months of building the benchwork, the foamwork is pretty much complete so I can start planing the trackwork and the scenery. Im going to have the basic mainline up by Sunday which I plan to run the 1st "test" train with my newly dcc equiped P40 803. Also included in the consist will be dummy P42 #32, baggage 1040, Viewliner sleeper(not named or numbered yet), Amfleet II coach 25000, Amfleet I coach 44814, and Amfleet II lounge 28005. Im going to only run it from BOS-ALB just to see if the DCC works and how well my new cars perform.

The Berkshire Mountain area of Conrail's Boston and Albany route from about Springfield, MA to Albany, NY. Im going to try to have a very accurate area of the layout representing Pittsfield, MA. Im going to have the layout set back in 1997-98 because most of my freight equipment reflects Conrails later years and my Amtrak Equipment is also very accurate for that period for the most part. I have numerous pieces Amtrak low level long distance cars that arent used on the Boston section such as dining cars so I will probably connect the two lake shores in Albany and run them right to chicago using the layout though its set just in Western Mass. The good thing about 97-98 is that I can still get away with using my F40PHs as well!

Sound Awesome!!! I have been doing alot of work on my layout as well. Currently have a 10 car train running, 1-UP SD90 1-Dummy GP60 Norfolk Southern, 6-Bethgon Hoppers, 4-Boxcars. :)

Is your UP SD90 one of those ones with like the squarer T-shaped nose? I really think those are very neat and powerful looking locomotives! I usually dont like the color yellow, but Ive always thought Union Pacific has sharp looking locomotives in that yellow. I really got to get some more fancy freight equipment, Im a big Amtrak modeler (probably like most of the model railroaders on this fourm are) I just am very intrested in the passenger operations and such. Ive really negleticed my freight operations though. Here I am running expensive, very realistic Amtrak trains while the freight trains have fairly good locomotives, my freight cars have seen much abuse from my brother and I were kids (before I was really into Amtrak). They arent as high quality as the Amtrak cars are either, they are mostly the average trainset quality cars, with a few gems mixed in there. Id like to get a nice intermodal train or something going, since there are alot of them over the B&A along with the Auto carrier trains.

P40Power said:
Is your UP SD90 one of those ones with like the squarer T-shaped nose? I really think those are very neat and powerful looking locomotives! I usually dont like the color yellow, but Ive always thought Union Pacific has sharp looking locomotives in that yellow. I really got to get some more fancy freight equipment, Im a big Amtrak modeler (probably like most of the model railroaders on this fourm are) I just am very intrested in the passenger operations and such. Ive really negleticed my freight operations though. Here I am running expensive, very realistic Amtrak trains while the freight trains have fairly good locomotives, my freight cars have seen much abuse from my brother and I were kids (before I was really into Amtrak). They arent as high quality as the Amtrak cars are either, they are mostly the average trainset quality cars, with a few gems mixed in there. Id like to get a nice intermodal train or something going, since there are alot of them over the B&A along with the Auto carrier trains.
1058669801365_P4200008.jpg

This is a picture I just took for ya. Sorry about the rough track conditions, I am doing some SERIOUS work on that part of the layout. In fact, the track the SD90 is sitting on, just ends about 3 inches past the end of the photos reach.

Sweet Unit, intresting lighting its in too, makes it look like a very sunny day! Is that a Kato unit?

I wouldnt mind getting a Kato Conrail SD80MAC for my layout. I got to tour a cab of an SD80MAC down in Chester back in 96 or 97 when they were State of the Art. They are real nice looking units, they used them up here to haul trains over the Berkshire Mountains with ease. The only problem with Kato units is that they are mostly very expensive, sometimes good deals on them can be found though.

If you are looking for some great deals, I would strongly recommend checking out the selection on ebay. I have seen SD90's at some very intriguing prices. :)

Oh I always take a look on Ebay to see what they have and there are some amazing deals. Im always worried Im gonna get screwed on something though! Maybe someday Ill cave and get somethings from E-Bay. I would stick to small things like model trains. Ive seen some excellent deals on motocross bikes that intrest me but some seem too good to be true and they are way too expensive to ship!

Back