Parts of my grand layout has been destroyed.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amtrakadirondack

Lead Service Attendant
:( :angry: :( :angry: :( :angry: About two weeks after my two-year construction of a grand layout, parts of it have been destroyed! But not from animals or other things, it was by my younger brother! It happened about three hours ago (8:30Est), I was using my computer (On Amtrak Unlimited), when I went to start a day of HO hobby, Amtrak style, when I found my little brother trying to operate my layout. My Capitol Limited was already derailed and down a hill and into a model river, and one of my Acela Express trains slammed into the back of my Amtrak Cardinal in my main yard. So I ran over and picked him up and moved him, and as I did that my Coast Starlight derailed into a BNSF train, and then I find my little brother switched all the transformers, so I didn’t know which train I was controlling, so I started to shut down the trains as my 41 car Auto Train takes a hairpin turn, on a bridge, so I’m hoping it will make it (I didn’t shut it down because all the cars would jackknife and destroy the bridge) so I’m hoping it will make it when I find out my little brother sabotaged the bridge, sending both my new P42’s in the Acela paint into an oncoming Amtrak Adirondack, sending 18 Superliners off the bridge and crushing the Adirondack, then the Auto carriers flew into the mess, finally they stopped, all of the Superliners went off the bridge and half of the Auto carriers went off, the others jackknifed, then to find my Sunset Limited crossing another sabotaged bridge, this time with a little figure on the track’s, the Sunset Limited derailed and three of the cars went side ways off the bridge, which ended up looking like the 1995 Sunset Limited sabotage. After it was over the first P42 engine of the Auto Train was crushed, and its beyond repair, 6 of my Superliners are out of service, and will need major repair, 3 Acela Express passenger cars are in need of a little repair, 4 Viewliners are destroyed and, well each one is in several pieces, 7 Amfleet cars need repair, my 49 inch bridge is completely destroyed, and many more destroyed car are still be recovered, like my new Seattle Sounder cars are in need of a little repair, oh, and my Silver Meteor is derailed inside of a tunnel, so I’m using my switchers to get them out, lets just say I will repair the layout after we move to Seattle. :( :angry: :( :angry: :( :angry:

Thank you,

Amtrakadirondack

Sorry to hear, How old is your little brother? Mine's 5, so he knows not to touch mine (even so its only a small one track oval right now with a station and 3 trainsets in the basement.) Even so, he'll be getting a Thomas set, so he won't want to use mine (hopefully).

My brother is 5, too, and he feels so bad, he said “I saw you operating them and I thought I could to, sorry brother”, of course I forgive him. I am planning on getting lock for the garage, I'm restoring the damaged cars (With a little red stripes on the bottom, like with the real thing), but I will not be the layout at this time, becuase in about a month I'm moving from Hinesville, GA (Close to the Silver Star derailment) to Seattle, WA with my family, I have already picked the 2nd biggest bedroom, with two locks (Just in case, but hopefully they wont need to be used), so I was already planning on refiguring the layout from a Mini-USA layout, to a Mini-Seattle layout, so in a way, its bad and good, its bad because I lost about 15 cars (Engines, passenger cars and other types) (Still removing the Silver Meteor from the tunnel), but its also good because my mom is allowing me to buy double what I lost because she was supposed to be watching my little bro, Justin, so I buying two replacement Viewliners, two replacement P42 in Acela paint, and I am buying a lot more Seattle Sounder cars and engines. I am also getting all my old heritage cars, Diners, Slumbercoaches, Sleeping Cars, ect, which I had in storage because my main yard was stuffed with the new cars. I’m also going to setup a smaller layout next to mine for my little brother Justin, it will feature a Puget Sound, a station, two bridges, one tunnel, tree’s and mountains, a 5 car Superliner train I called the “Little Brother Express”, with a switch onto my layout, but I will be operating that switch, I worked up the design on a layout software I have, I’ll tell you how the repaired cars turn out, the new layout after I move and how things are going! See ya soon! Oh, and thank you for your sympathy about my layout, thanks. :)

Oh, and about the bridge and the now decapitated passenger that was hit by the my Sunset Limited, my dad told me that the evening before he bumped the bridge that the Auto Train almost flew and the figure was his idea, he said "If I'd known Justin would have done that I wouldn't of done it". After more work I found more damaged cars, a full total of about 48 cars were destroyed (Most from the Auto Train). So, a big sorry, plus a big payment of damaged cars, the 4 engines of the Auto Train, Sunset Limited and the crushed Adirondack, 13 of the Auto Train’s Superliners, 16 Auto Carriers and some others. I am going to upgrade my little bro’s layout to a bigger one, connected by a bridge to my layout, and I am also going to replace some Superliners, Auto Carriers and Engines, so I will tell you how everything turns out! Bye! :) :) :) :) :)

It would take me a life's living to pay off that amount of damage. How do you plan to purchase over 40 new pieces of equipment? Also, I have had trains colide and fall on my basement floor countless times and so far only replaced one car.

I plan on replacing the cars with money I have saved, money from my mom (She was supposed to be watching my little brother) and from my dad (bumped the bridge and put the little figure on the track). I should also add that I'm getting the money after we move to Seattle, from the escrow money of selling our house in GA, so I plan on replacing the cars over three months. :) :) :) :) :)

amtrakadirondack said:
I plan on replacing the cars with money I have saved, money from my mom (She was supposed to be watching my little brother) and from my dad (bumped the bridge and put the little figure on the track). I should also add that I'm getting the money after we move to Seattle, from the escrow money of selling our house in GA, so I plan on replacing the cars over three months. :) :) :) :) :)
Well good luck. Finally started running my layout last night. :)

Thank You, I've Already Ordered Two Auto Carriers, Four Superliners And One P42 In Acela Paint, And Will Be Delivered To My House In About 4 To 5 Days (Will Be Shipped Air Freight By FedEx, Don’t Use UPS, I Once Used Them To Get An Order Of Superliners Of About $60.00 And All Of Them Had Cracks In The Frames And Windows), I Will Replace The Cars In The Next Three Months.

Report On Layout:

5 Heritage Trains Operating On Line Where Not Damaged.

Almost All Of Silver Meteor Has Been Removed From Tunnel

Decapitated Figure Gets Proper Salute

Two Superliners Returned To Service, Sporting A Red Line At The Bottom

Auto Train Wreck Fully Cleared, A Replacement Bridge Has Been Put In

5 Heritage Trains Running As NortheastDirect

Two Superliner Trains Awaiting For Two Lines To Be Cleared

One Acela Express Train Set Awaiting Track Repair On Its Line

Most Of Derailed Trains Removed

About 35% Of Layout Indefinitely Closed

About 15% Of Layout Temporarily Closed Until Repaired

I Will Be Doing Small Repairs So I Can Run Some Trains, And I Will Be Putting An Extra Table Next To My Layout To Build Just A Rail Layout For Younger Bro, Connected By A Switch, But Will Be Placing A Lock Around The Switch, So Trains Can Move From Layout To Layout Without My Permission. So I Have A Total Of 8 Trains Running Or Waiting To Run, And Hopefully More Soon. I Will Post More About The Layout, New Cars, Repaired Cars And Any Other News, Sa Ya! :)

I have an inoperable Viewliner, will replace that soon (summer). I have 1 P-42 (Phase V) on order, another expecting for my birthday (Plus Three Superliners in a set).

My layout is a single track oval, with only an Amshack (for now).

I decided to screw around a little and run all of my cars in one train (minus the Viewliner).

Here's My Consist:

#910 AEM-7 Phase IV

#901 AEM-7 Phase III

#4405 ALP-44 NJ Transit

#2440 "Pacific Beach" Heritage Sleeper Phase IV

#8515 Heritage Diner Phase IV

#28021 (Tampa Club) Amfleet II Lounge Phase IV

#25093 Amfleet II Coach Phase IV

No# Amfleet I Cafe Phase IV

#39000 Superliner II Transition Sleeper

#32502 "W Graham Claytor Jr." Superliner II Deluxe Sleeper

#33101 Auto Train Lounge (ex-Diner)

#34042 Superliner I Coach Baggage Phase IV

#9027 Auto Train Auto Carrier Phase III

#21618 Amfleet I Coach, Northeast Direct Scheme

No# NJ Transit Horizon Coach

No# NJ Transit Horizon Cab

#43306 Amfleet I Lounge Phase III, Metroliner (yes, Metroliner) Scheme

#44943 Amfleet I Coach Phase III

The Viewliner has a Stripped Screw under one wheel (easily derails) and broken Diaphragms on both ends, and thus will probably be used for spare parts. I'll hopefully get a replacement Viewliner Soon. :)

The Viewliner has a Stripped Screw under one wheel (easily derails) and broken Diaphragms on both ends, and thus will probably be used for spare parts. I'll hopefully get a replacement Viewliner Soon.
Take the borken screw to the hardware store or local hobby shop to see if they have a similar size for replacement. Also, when you say broken diaphram, do you mean it is cracked or does not "spring" any more?

Amfleet said:
The Viewliner has a Stripped Screw under one wheel (easily derails) and broken Diaphragms on both ends, and thus will probably be used for spare parts. I'll hopefully get a replacement Viewliner Soon.
Take the borken screw to the hardware store or local hobby shop to see if they have a similar size for replacement. Also, when you say broken diaphram, do you mean it is cracked or does not "spring" any more?
Not Spring.

Well that is an easy fix. What I did to all me cars, since I was tired of Walthers poor diaphram construction, was take out the springs and permantly glue them into place in the groove. The cars take curves much better and I think it looks a whole lot better even though there is a space between each car diaphram.

Andirondack, you must have an incredible amount of Amtrak Equipment to have all those trains that you say on your layout, especially that 41 car Auto Train. And the cars you lost what did they do fall onto the floor or what, I couldnt seem to understand what happened to them in your original post?

About 50% of the car that did derail went onto the floor (concrete floor), and Amfleet, I'll check into master switch, thanks, Amtrakadirondack. :) :) :) :) :)

P40Power said:
You must have an incredible amount of Amtrak Equipment
About 70% of my Amtrak fleet was giving to me by granddad who died about one year ago, he was the biggest Amtrak fan I had ever scene, if you started a conversation about buying a new house, he’d find something to start taking about Amtrak. :)

amtrakadirondack said:
....he was the biggest Amtrak fan I had ever scene, if you started a conversation about buying a new house, he’d find something to start taking about Amtrak. :)
I have just a few friends like that. :lol:

Hey sorry man about your grand setup of the model railroad. Ya know when I was young, I had a model train set, it was the greatest until my younger sister stepped on it and broke it. That pissed me off plenty. Yet what I'm trying to get to is have a seperate room for the trains, or you get a lock so only can get in, and have them to yourself.

TRAINS RULE................HOOAH!

amtrakadirondack said:
:( :angry: :( :angry: :( :angry: About two weeks after my two-year construction of a grand layout, parts of it have been destroyed! But not from animals or other things, it was by my younger brother! It happened about three hours ago (8:30Est), I was using my computer (On Amtrak Unlimited), when I went to start a day of HO hobby, Amtrak style, when I found my little brother trying to operate my layout. My Capitol Limited was already derailed and down a hill and into a model river, and one of my Acela Express trains slammed into the back of my Amtrak Cardinal in my main yard. So I ran over and picked him up and moved him, and as I did that my Coast Starlight derailed into a BNSF train, and then I find my little brother switched all the transformers, so I didn’t know which train I was controlling, so I started to shut down the trains as my 41 car Auto Train takes a hairpin turn, on a bridge, so I’m hoping it will make it (I didn’t shut it down because all the cars would jackknife and destroy the bridge) so I’m hoping it will make it when I find out my little brother sabotaged the bridge, sending both my new P42’s in the Acela paint into an oncoming Amtrak Adirondack, sending 18 Superliners off the bridge and crushing the Adirondack, then the Auto carriers flew into the mess, finally they stopped, all of the Superliners went off the bridge and half of the Auto carriers went off, the others jackknifed, then to find my Sunset Limited crossing another sabotaged bridge, this time with a little figure on the track’s, the Sunset Limited derailed and three of the cars went side ways off the bridge, which ended up looking like the 1995 Sunset Limited sabotage. After it was over the first P42 engine of the Auto Train was crushed, and its beyond repair, 6 of my Superliners are out of service, and will need major repair, 3 Acela Express passenger cars are in need of a little repair, 4 Viewliners are destroyed and, well each one is in several pieces, 7 Amfleet cars need repair, my 49 inch bridge is completely destroyed, and many more destroyed car are still be recovered, like my new Seattle Sounder cars are in need of a little repair, oh, and my Silver Meteor is derailed inside of a tunnel, so I’m using my switchers to get them out, lets just say I will repair the layout after we move to Seattle. :( :angry: :( :angry: :( :angry:
Thank you,

Amtrakadirondack
:D :D

Amatrakadirondack

You may not thing so right now, but your younger brother younger brother may be a budding genious! Have you ever heard of Thomas Edison. I'm an electrical engineer and he's my idol. As a child, he blew up his own basement with a chemistry set doing an experiment. You won't want to bless him for it now, but you might look up to him some day for it.

"A Little late" [email protected]

ps: I no longer live there, but I grew up in the adirondack's

Younger brothers can be a pain, because they don't know how to respect older brother's property. About 4 years ago, when I was 14 and my brother was 11(going on 12), my brother slightly damaged my new N scale E60cp I got for my birthday. What really pissed me was that he obviously heard me say stop. He ran the E60cp at FULL Speed most of the time because the trucks have 3 wheels instead of 2. And if you want to know I beat him a bit for that. And he wasn't sincere with his apology, because he's not really a train person.

Now as I'm 17, I have started playing with O-Gauge trains, I have a Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer set, and a very old Lionel Berkshire from the 50's with cars, buildings, and alot of other cool things. For Christmas I am getting an MTH Train set. He hasn't touched my trains in years. Besides, if he breaks any of them, I can allways "Rock out" with his guitar.

Back