Where does Amtrak Travel?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Freak Of Detroit.

Hello,

I've heard something about a rail service called "Amtrak". Could you possibly tell me about it? Where does it serve? What types of services are available? Is it more enjoyably than air travel? Can you please tell me where to call? Thank You. :huh:

Sure I can tell you something’s about Amtrak. Amtrak serves 46 states in the US and it serves three Canadian provinces. The states that Amtrak does not serve are Hawaii and Alaska (Alaska has its own rail service), Wyoming and South Dakota. Amtrak was created on May 1,1971. Amtrak has many trains here they are:

Acela Express (Washington, DC to Boston, MA) Offers Business Class and First Class

Regional (Service on the Northeast Corridor) Offers Coach Class and Business Class

NortheastDirect (Service on the Northeast Corridor) Offers Coach Class and Business Class

Maple Leaf (New York, NY to Toronto, ON) Offers Coach Class and Business Class

Adirondack (New York, NY to Montréal, QC) Offers Coach Class Only

Vermonter (Washington, DC to St. Albans, VT) Offers Coach Class and Business Class

Ethan Allen Express (New York, NY to Rutland, VT) Offers Coach Class and Business Class

The Federal (Washington, DC to Boston, MA) Offers Coach Class, Business Class and Sleeper Rooms

Downeaster (Boston, MA to Portland, ME) Offers Coach Class and Business Class

Lake Shore Limited (Chicago, IL to New York, NY or Boston, MA) Offers Coach Class and Sleeper Rooms

Three Rivers (Chicago, IL to New York, NY) Offers Coach Class and Sleeper Rooms

Pennsylvanian (New York, NY to Pittsburg, PA) Offers Coach Class and Business Class

Cardinal (Chicago, IL to Washington, DC) Offers Coach Class and Sleeper Rooms

Kentucky Cardinal (Chicago, IL to Louisville, KY) Offers Coach Class Only (Going to be terminated in June)

Capitol Limited (Chicago, IL to Washington, DC) Offers Coach Class and Sleeper Rooms

Auto Train (Lorton, VA to Stanford, FL) Offers Coach Class, Sleeper Rooms and Enclosed Auto Carriers (Must have a car with you to travel onboard)

Silver Star (New York, NY to Miami, FL) Offers Coach Class and Sleeper Rooms

Silver Meteor (New York, NY to Miami, FL) Offers Coach Class and Sleeper Rooms

Palmetto (New York, NY to Miami, FL) Offers Coach Class and Business Class

Carolinian (New York, NY to Charlotte, NC) Offers Coach Class and Business Class

Piedmont (Raleigh, NC to Charlotte, NC) Offers Coach Class Only

Crescent (New York, NY to New Orleans, LA) Offers Coach Class and Sleeper Rooms

Midwest Corridor (Makes connections in four states including Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Missouri and the Canadian Province Ontario) Offers Coach Class and Business Class

City Of New Orleans (Chicago, IL to New Orleans, LA) Offers Coach Class and Sleeper Rooms

Texas Eagle (Chicago, IL to San Antonio, TX) Offers Coach Class and Sleeper Rooms

Heartland Flyer (Fort Worth, TX to Oklahoma City, OK) Offers Coach Class Only

California Zephyr (Chicago, IL to Emeryville, CA) Offers Coach Class and Sleeper Rooms

Southwest Chief (Chicago, IL to Los Angeles, CA) Offers Coach Class and Sleeper Rooms

Empire Builder (Chicago, IL to Seattle, WA or Portland, OR) Offers Coach Class and Sleeper Rooms

Coast Starlight (Seattle, WA to Los Angeles, CA) Offers Coach Class and Sleeper Rooms

Cascades (Eugene, OR - Portland, OR - Seattle, WA - Vancouver, BC) Offers Coach Class and Business Class

Pacific Surfliner (San Louis Obispo, CA - Santa Barbara, CA - Los Angeles, CA) Offers Coach Class and Business Class

Capitols (San José, CA - Sacramento, CA - Auburn, CA) Offers Coach Class Only

San Joaquin (Bakersfield, CA to Sacramento, CA or Oakland, CA)

Sunset Limited (Los Angeles, CA to Orlando, CA) Offers Coach Class and Sleeper Rooms

You can call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL. Hope this helps and fell free to ask me questions if you need more info. :)

The trains you listed, do they only stop at the cities listed??? :huh:

Does Amtrak Service These Locations???

1. Cheboygan, MI?

2. Brigantine, SC?

3. Lubec, ME?

4. Las Vegas, NV?

5. Eureka, CA?

6. Boise, ID?

7. Missoula, MT?

8. Spokane, WA?

9. Bangor, ME?

10. Portland, ME

11. Anacortes, WA?

12. Nashville, TN?

13. New Orleans, LA

14. Salt Lake City, UT?

15. Ogden, UT?

16. Albany, NY?

17. Westport, NY

18. Orlando, FL?

19. Springfield, OH?

20. Brownsville, TX?

Here are the answers to you’re questions:

1. Cheboygan, MI?-No

2. Brigantine, SC?-No

3. Lubec, ME?-No

4. Las Vegas, NV?-Not at this time.

5. Eureka, CA?-No

6. Boise, ID?-No

7. Missoula, MT?-No

8. Spokane, WA?-Yes

9. Bangor, ME?-No

10. Portland, ME?-Yes

11. Anacortes, WA?-No

12. Nashville, TN?-No

13. New Orleans, LA?-Yes

14. Salt Lake City, UT?-Yes

15. Ogden, UT? No

16. Albany, NY?-Yes

17. Westport, NY?-Yes

18. Orlando, FL?-Yes

19. Springfield, OH?-No

20. Brownsville, TX?-No

My advice is to call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIl and ask them to mail you a timetable, both a national timetable and a northeast timetable. That way you can sit back and discover it at your own pace. It will show you the times and stops each train makes.

Trains, like buses, tend to serve many more of the smaller size cities than do planes. They do not make excessive amounts of stops as compared to buses, but of course they usually make many more stops than a plane makes.

A timetable will describe the different kinds of accommodations. You choose between coach or private room sleeping car. Trains usually have dining cars and or lounge cars. If you go sleeper the dining car meals are included in your price.

Sleeper is of course much more costly than coach. Coach fares are similar to bus fare. Sleeping car fares are similar to somewhat average plane fares(though the airlines usually offer many more discount programs than does Amtrak.

There are all just generalizaions..a good thing thing to do is sit down with a timetable and sort of discover this world for yourself.

Most of us who ride trains a lot consider them relaxing, a good way to talk to people(if you want to)and see the scenery. Watching the scenery go by at 70 miles per hour while you are eating real food at a real table is quite a pleasure. Same for sleeping in a real bed while the world goes by outside your window.

Do you have a specific trip in mind? Where might you be traveling from and to?

Click on: http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/national.pdf to instantly download a map of the US that shows each Amtrak route and the intermediate stops on it. You can zoom in on this map to see each region you are interested in. The map should give you a good idea of where Amtrak does and does not serve.

Many of the places you mentioned above ARE served by Amtrak, such as Eureka, CA and Las Vegas, NV, as you will see by viewing the map. Once you have viewed it and would like to get a price to travel between two cities, you can click on http://www.amtrak.com and use the Fast Fare Finder on the right side of the screen by typing in your origin and destination to get an instant price quote for your trip.

Thank You All, I will go to www.amtrak.com and check it out! :) :) :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back