75 replies to this topic

#1 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

Amtrak is planning to detour its southbound Coast Starlight between Oakland and Los Angeles in March and April due to track work. Instead of its normal route along the California Coast, train No. 11 will travel Union Pacific's ex-Southern Pacific route via the San Joaquin Valley and Tehachapi Loop. The detours are planned for March 13-15, March 24-30, and April 8-10.

Seattle departures of the train are one day earlier. Amtrak says that the track work may end early, so detours may not last all the way into April.

I've made reservations to take the loop on Sunday, 3/24 (leaving SEA Saturday, 3/23), since I missed this the last time it happened. PM me if you'd like to come along.

Edit: I got the dates wrong, but they've been fixed. See below.

Edited by CHamilton, 24 February 2013 - 07:57 AM.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#2 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Tempting, tempting!

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x20); California Zephyr (x5); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x3); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x5); San Joaquin (x7); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x1)

VIA Rail
Ocean (x3); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#3 Shanghai

Shanghai

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Charlie, are there mud slides in the loop?

Spirit of St Louis, Broadway Limited, Three Rivers, Cardinal, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Star, Pennsylvanian, Keystone, Silver Meteor, Regional, Acela, Capitol Limited, Hoosier State, Texas Eagle, Maple Leaf, Empire Service, Ethan Allen, Eurostar, TGV, BR, Orient Express, Netherlands Rail, SCNF, DSB, Deutsche Bahn, KCRC, MRT, MTR, California Zephyr, Carolinian, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln Service, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Cascades, Pacific Surfliner, BART, CalTrain, NJ Transit, SEPTA, PATCO, Dinky, MBTA, Downeaster, UTA Trax, Heartland Flyer, Hiawatha, Illinois Zehpyr,Carl Sandburg, Piedmont, Vermonter, Metro North

#4 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Now I'm getting slightly different dates from another (reliable) source.

Train 11 will detour On the following dates (Seattle departure one day earlier than shown) –

·         Wednesday, March 13 through Friday, March 15
·         Sunday, March 24 through Saturday, March 30, and
·         Monday, April 8 through Wednesday, April 10 (this subject to change if the work ends early) 

So it looks like train 11 departing SEA on 3/22 will NOT detour, but train 11 departing SEA on 3/23 WILL detour.

Shanghai, I don't know about mudslides on the detour, but since that's UP's main freight route, I can't imagine that they would let it stay blocked very long. And I don't think that UP has the "no passenger trains for 24 hours" rule that BNSF does, but others may know more.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#5 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Great news!  I managed to miss the detour the last times it ran, so will have to try again this time.  Unfortunately, the Loop may be done in darkness....anyone have any estimate of the times at Bakersfield and into Los Angeles?

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#6 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

All of those detour dates occur in Daylight Savings Time, so the loop will most likely be transited in daylight, while arrival into LA will likely be after dark.

#7 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

Charlie, you paying? :D

006b86872e.png

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Booked:  Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)

#8 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Charlie, you paying? :D

Just used up almost all of my AGR points for this, but I guess it's for a good cause :)

#9 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

I have no idea what the time-frame will be for an LA arrival, but here's a bit of consideration:

When I last took the southbound detour in 2009, it was non-stop between Sacramento and Los Angeles with only a crew-change stop at the now-abandoned Southern Pacific Bakersfield depot.  The train left SAC at the scheduled 6:30 AM departure and, get this, arrived into LAX at 4:50 PM!

Now, this detour looks to be starting in Oakland, and will undoubtedly take the UP Niles Canyon route to Tracy (the same tracks used by ACE) and then the UP main through Bakersfield and up over the pass to Palmdale and LA.  As such, I don't think it is out of the question that the train may arrive into LA with some daylight to spare.  While Amtrak would never officially come up with an arrival time augmented for this detour, my guess would be anywhere around 7 PM.

If I somehow was able to get a shot at going, I'm going to have to consider my return back to Sacramento that night or very early the next morning.  I have to look into doing a bit more homework.

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x20); California Zephyr (x5); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x3); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x5); San Joaquin (x7); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x1)

VIA Rail

#10 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,192 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

I'm actually going to try and force this together.  God help my budget.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)
Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)
Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#11 roomette

roomette

Conductor

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

Never mind. "loop" threw me for one.

Edited by roomette, 24 February 2013 - 01:18 AM.

#12 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

The detours are planned for March 13-15, March 24-30, and April 8-10.

I've made reservations to take the loop on Saturday, 3/23

How does that work?  What am I missing?

Because he's in Seattle, which means the train taking that detour starting 3/24 originates on the 23rd.  Makes for a nice well-rounded weekend trip.  :)

Amtrak

VIA Rail

#13 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

The detours are planned for March 13-15, March 24-30, and April 8-10.

I've made reservations to take the loop on Saturday, 3/23

How does that work?  What am I missing?

Because he's in Seattle, which means the train taking that detour starting 3/24 originates on the 23rd.  Makes for a nice well-rounded weekend trip.  :)

Actually, I got the dates wrong. I should have said that I would be leaving SEA on the 23rd and taking the loop on the 24th. Sorry about that.

#14 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

Actually, I got the dates wrong. I should have said that I would be leaving SEA on the 23rd and taking the loop on the 24th. Sorry about that.

Well dang it Charlie! Now I want my signature back from your waterfront streetcar petition! :P

I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train.

#15 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

Well dang it Charlie! Now I want my signature back from your waterfront streetcar petition! :P

Jeez, I'm sorry! Do you suppose my faculties were reduced due to an attack of foaming? :)

#16 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,191 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

He can make it right by buying both of us tickets to ride the loop with him. :D
TrainSig.jpg

#17 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Ryan, I'm all out of AGR points, but if you come along, I'll buy you a beer in the PPC :)

#18 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

He can make it right by buying both of us tickets to ride the loop with him. :D

Hey! I asked first! :o

006b86872e.png

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Booked:  Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)

#19 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

Okay, two beers!

#20 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Jeez, I'm sorry! Do you suppose my faculties were reduced due to an attack of foaming? :)

Okay, now I'm confused.  Was the attack of foaming from the detour - or the beer windfall you could get from a bidding war? :o

Well, in either case you are forgiven as, based on personal experience :rolleyes: , I can understand how both trains and beer can distract someone. :excl:  :D

I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users