What I like about the acela

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLOND37

OBS Chief
granted it is more pricey, and i didnt get to poke around and check it out to much but one thing i like about it is (no offense) it doesnt stop at every two bit town from PVD to NYP :)

but one thing i like about it is (no offense) it doesnt stop at every two bit town from PVD to NYP :)
I take offense with you calling KIN a "two bit town"!
mad.gif
It's at least a three bit town!
laugh.gif

It it did stop at KIN, I could not watch it pass thru the station at 150 MPH!
m1809.gif

ok this is quasi related but on the acela i'm guessing no free non-booze drinks in BC?

I dont understand why Acela stops at Route 128 and Back Bay and Stamford.
Because they each contribute substantial amounts of passengers to Amtrak's ridership totals.

Boston-Back Bay 398,240

Route 128 (Boston) 366,649

Stamford 337,674

New Haven is a college town.

But Back Bay is so close to the South Station, not even 2 minutes and the train is going at probably 10 mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back Bay is so close to the South Station, not even 2 minutes and the train is going at probably 10 mph.
As said, Back Bay has almost 400K riders! And it is near one of the main financial centers of Boston, and has a "T" stop right at BBY less than 100 feet from the Amtrak platform. And that "T" line has a direct connection to North Station (including the Downeaster and numerous MBTA lines).

so how crowded will the 45am Wed acela be when it leaves boston and gets to PVD?

Back Bay is so close to the South Station, not even 2 minutes and the train is going at probably 10 mph.
As said, Back Bay has almost 400K riders! And it is near one of the main financial centers of Boston, and has a "T" stop right at BBY less than 100 feet from the Amtrak platform. And that "T" line has a direct connection to North Station (including the Downeaster and numerous MBTA lines).

And South Station has plenty of "foot traffic" now?

so how crowded will the 45am Wed acela be when it leaves boston and gets to PVD?
I actually hate boarding south bound acelas in PVD with the fire of a thousand suns because it is almost always impossible to find two seats together.

Actually, I only hate it when traveling with a partner who is boarding with me in PVD.

I don't mind boarding alone.

I actually hate boarding south bound acelas in PVD with the fire of a thousand suns because it is almost always impossible to find two seats together.

Actually, I only hate it when traveling with a partner who is boarding with me in PVD.

I don't mind boarding alone.
well i be traveling alone (how umm.. riding the rails alone LOL) so i dont mind the two empty seat thing tho i admit its nice to have an empty one near you.. what i do mind is saying to someone nicely: hi is this seat taken and the sigh and rolling of the eyes etc.

so if i get the aisle seat can i ask the person if i can use the ac outlet?

Well it depends on the person. I actually really dislike sitting in the window when the aisle person is using the power because then their power cord is practically across my lap. That doesn't mean I wouldn't let someone use it, but it is annoying. In my opinion, amtrak should really have found a way to do the power so that it wasn't on the walls. For example, could they have done an outlet in the arm rest? Or what about on the floor in between the two seats? That way the cords aren't annoying. The iPhone charger cord doesn't even reach all the way from the wall to a person seated in the aisle seat.

But I am sure you will be fine, OP! Just relax and enjoy the ride. :cool:

well i know i can.. but i mean can i... lol or will i get another roll of the eyes..
I always ask and have never had a problem. I also usually carry a small power strip with me, so I can plug in more than one item if I need to (and the other person is using the other outlet, or using both outlets).

Well it depends on the person. I actually really dislike sitting in the window when the aisle person is using the power because then their power cord is practically across my lap.
I should also mention that I have a pretty long cord on my laptop, so I can snake it out of the way of the other person. But it's a pretty rare day when I don't manage to get a window seat.

Well it depends on the person. I actually really dislike sitting in the window when the aisle person is using the power because then their power cord is practically across my lap. That doesn't mean I wouldn't let someone use it, but it is annoying. In my opinion, amtrak should really have found a way to do the power so that it wasn't on the walls. For example, could they have done an outlet in the arm rest? Or what about on the floor in between the two seats? That way the cords aren't annoying. The iPhone charger cord doesn't even reach all the way from the wall to a person seated in the aisle seat.

But I am sure you will be fine, OP! Just relax and enjoy the ride. :cool:
i was thinking the same thing about in the middle and i have an iphone.. i kinda hope i get an aisle this time.. last time which was my first time i got a window with someone on the aisle.. god forbid i get up to check out the train and get a meal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back