Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

My six year old daughter and I will be taking our first train trip from Los Angeles to Chicago which has 2 full nights and 1 day and a half of travel. My main question is: Are there any stops along the way where there is time to exit the train and get something to eat? I know that the main stop is Albequerque but I can't tell what is near the station. I plan to bring snacks aboard but if possible for lunch and dinner I would like to get something off the train (like Subway, McDonalds etc.)to save a little money.

Thank You!!!

Courtney

Courtney,

Albequerque is the only stop where, assuming that the train arrives on time, you might have enough time to try and run out to buy food. And even then I would urge extreme caution. Definately don't go far, as the train won't wait for you.

I have to agree with Alan, as on the SW Chief last week...and most breaks were cut short to 3-5 minutes to make up time. We did arrive into Albuquerque 2 hours early. However, there isn't alot of fast food places close to the station...but you have 2 hours if you want to chance it...always grab a taxi! hhaa

The new transit center at Albuquerque has a nonchain fast food stand inside. I didn't make use of it last year, when my eastbound Southwest Chief arrived almost 2 hours early, but quite a few Coach passengers did. As a sleeper passenger I was waiting to have lunch once the train got underway again.

Albuquerque is a crew change point and fueling stop, so the train's gonna be there awhile even if running late. Still, I'm with Alan: It's never a good idea to stray far from the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,
My six year old daughter and I will be taking our first train trip from Los Angeles to Chicago which has 2 full nights and 1 day and a half of travel. My main question is: Are there any stops along the way where there is time to exit the train and get something to eat? I know that the main stop is Albequerque but I can't tell what is near the station. I plan to bring snacks aboard but if possible for lunch and dinner I would like to get something off the train (like Subway, McDonalds etc.)to save a little money.

Thank You!!!

Courtney
Tell your daughter she is on one of the most historic Amtrak Routes. When Santa Fe ran the passenger service on that line eons ago it was called Santa Fe Chief. It was their flagship route. When Amtrak took over passenger service, my understanding, Amtrak wanted to retain the name because of the historic significance, but Santa Fe (now part of BNSF) refused to allow the rights to Amtrak so they had to rename is Southwest Chief.

Someone please correct my history if I am wrong.

Thank you so much for the great info. So I understand that basically I should not leave the stations, but is it ok to get off the train or do you reccommend staying on the train through the stops?

Thank you so much for the great info. So I understand that basically I should not leave the stations, but is it ok to get off the train or do you reccommend staying on the train through the stops?
Generally speaking, announcements inviting passengers to get off and stretch their legs (and in my case have a smoke), are made shortly before stops where there will be time for it. And one can always ask.

Get off the train, stretch your legs, don't wander too far away.

The key point is to watch the time. At Albequerque the train stops for servicing. If it's due off at 2pm (for example) , it won't leave before that time, so if it's early you know how long you have. If the train is late it will go when the servicing is finished, so obviously you can't predict that.

In Albequerque you can most certainly get off the train and wander through the vendor stalls setup on the platform, maybe run in and check out the station and the food vendor in there. There will be other stops where the crew will announce a smoking stop. You can safely step off the train at those stops too, but definately don't leave the platform at a smoking stop and stay close to an open door so that you can quickly reboard.

Otherwise, don't step off the train unless its your stop.

Hi All,

Thank You!!!

Courtney
Tell your daughter she is on one of the most historic Amtrak Routes. When Santa Fe ran the passenger service on that line eons ago it was called Santa Fe Chief. It was their flagship route. When Amtrak took over passenger service, my understanding, Amtrak wanted to retain the name because of the historic significance, but Santa Fe (now part of BNSF) refused to allow the rights to Amtrak so they had to rename is Southwest Chief.

I definately plan to give her lots of info along the way. I found a website that actually tells you what to look for and gives history from start to finish so I will print it out and have it handy on board to follow along with it. I think this is going to be a great experience for her.

Thanks!

Hi All,

Thank You!!!

Courtney

I definately plan to give her lots of info along the way. I found a website that actually tells you what to look for and gives history from start to finish so I will print it out and have it handy on board to follow along with it. I think this is going to be a great experience for her.

Thanks!
They also have route guides on board.

The Chief had been the Santa Fe's flagship route, but then they launched the Super Chief, while continuing the Chief. Both had been all-sleeper trains, but I think the Chief was changed to a mix of sleepers and coaches. There was also the all-coach streamliner El Capitan on the same route. Eventually, the Super Chief and El Capitan were run as a combined train, and the Chief was discontinued.

I rode the Super Chief round-trip from Chicago to Los Angeles in 1970, pre-Amtrak, when I was 12. I recall being vaguely disappointed to see the high-level cars of the El Capitan attached to the rear of the streamliner cars of the Super Chief; it didn't look like my Tyco HO-scale Super Chief. We also had a purple and yellow freight loco mixed in with the silver, red, and yellow passenger locos, which spoiled the look.

My trip on the Super Chief was my first encounter with silver finger bowls on the dining table. The dining car steward wore a morning suit. (For the benefit of the slobs who think it's okay to go into the dining car and dine wearing short pants, t-shirt, and hat, a morning suit is daytime formal wear: black coat, gray necktie, and gray striped pants). I also recall being thrilled to be allowed into the lounge car, which was essentially a bar, and being served some sort of soft drink with a cherry in it by a waiter in a white mess coat.

Besides the cafe inside the Albuquerque station, there is a burrito stand, along with Indian jewelry vendors. If the train arrives early at Albuquerque, several passengers will go across the street to get better food, mostly Creamery ice cream. Train cannot leaves earlier than on the posted schedule time, unless the symbol "D" is shown. Most importantly, listen to the announcement in train just prior to Albuquerque.

Besides the cafe inside the Albuquerque station, there is a burrito stand, along with Indian jewelry vendors. If the train arrives early at Albuquerque, several passengers will go across the street to get better food, mostly Creamery ice cream. Train cannot leaves earlier than on the posted schedule time, unless the symbol "D" is shown. Most importantly, listen to the announcement in train just prior to Albuquerque.
You know, I have been through there three times in the past couple of years and have yet to see a burrito stand. Either I just can't find it, it is not always there, or it is not there anymore.

You know, I have been through there three times in the past couple of years and have yet to see a burrito stand. Either I just can't find it, it is not always there, or it is not there anymore.
It's quite obscured. It's a very small trailer, I think, plywood, selling blankets and stuff. Usually under the bridge. A place to buy is on the side door, not in the front. They cook at the kitchen or whatever, and bring them in ice chest. It was still warm when I bought it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have all been so awesome! Thank you so much for the advice! Anything else a first timer on a long trip should know?

One of the great experience of train travel is to eat in the dining car. While the food is not always great, it is a real pleasure to eat there, talking with fellow travelers and watching the landscape fly by at 80-90 mph.

I would recommend saving some money to have one breakfast in the dining car (not lounge/cafe) to give your daughter an experience she will remember. Breakfast is one of the least expensive meals and most enjoyable, in my opinion. Nothing beats that first cup fo coffee while sitting at the the table with its linen and a bright sun shining in the windows.

It's quite obscured. It's a very small trailer, I think, plywood, selling blankets and stuff. Usually under the bridge. A place to buy is on the side door, not in the front. They cook at the kitchen or whatever, and bring them in ice chest. It was still warm when I bought it.
They must not have been there the times I was. I looked all up and down the platform.

I agree with Palmland above.

I would say that two of travels greatest pleasures are eating on a train and sleeping in a sleeping car. Yes, I can understand how a sleeping car can be too expensive.

But do eat some meals in the diner. It is a place to go, for one thing. A train trip can be an adventure in itself, not just a means to get from point A to point B.

Some of my best travel memories are of the conversations with people I was seated with in the dining car.

You will likely be seated with strangers. The logistics demand it, since dining car space is so limited compared to the number of people who might be on the train.

Make it a trip your daughter might remember more for the neat things she did, even if a little less money was saved.

Also I do not think the food is so bad in the lounge car.

I agree! Eat at least 1 meal in the Dining Car. Because of the size of the dining car compared to the number of people on the train, you will probably be seated with others. But that is part of the great thing about traveling by train!

True, on a plane, you may talk to the person seated next to you in seat 21-B, but I doubt you would get up and talk to seat 15-A or 25-F. On a train you do (and look forward to it)! Trains are conducive to that - you are together with others for more than a few hours!

And, it has not happened to me (yet :D ), but I've heard of those who were seated with a neighbor from the same town they grew up in - who they didn't even know but knew their family!

To save costs, breakfast is the least expensive meal. Depending on what you eat, and how much you eat, meals in the dining car may be less than meals from the cafe!

Such great advice. I definately plan to eat at least one meal in the dining car. Hopefull there will be some other children my daughters age which would make the experience even more enjoyable. I am so excited for this trip!!! It has been 12 years since seeing my family in Chicago (due to fear of flying) and this is making the trip even more special for me and my daughter.

Hi All,

Thank You!!!

Courtney
I took the same trip last summer with two older kids. We had a long stop in Albuquerque, close to 2 hours. You could eat in the station or wander around town like we did. The departure time was announced and we made sure we were back about 20 minutes before. There is a Subway that's about 1/4 mile or so from the station. It's at 20 First Plaza Ctr NW # 250, Albuquerque, NM 87102. From the station, per google maps, you head north on 1st St SW, Go left at Central Av/Rte 66, turn right at 2nd St NW, turn left at First Plaza Ctr and there it is. Looks to be a 5-7 minute walk each way, if that.

The McDonals is more like a mile away, so about 20-25 mins each way. You head north on 1st St SW, turn right at Central Av/Rte 66, turn left at Broadway Blvd/NM 47, go until you run into McDs at the corner of Broadway and Lomas. I don't know anything about ABQ. I just looked on the net for directions.

We also had 15 minute stops at Raton NM , La Junta CO and Fort Madison IA. We got off and stretched our legs a bit. We were never more than a minute or so from the train.

Enjoy your trip!

Dan

And, it has not happened to me (yet :D ), but I've heard of those who were seated with a neighbor from the same town they grew up in - who they didn't even know but knew their family!
I haven't done that yet, but on one trip that I took with my mom, we sat at the same table with some people who just happened to go to a particular church in Red Lion, PA. At that time, the fellow who was the minister of that church just happened to be the same person who 25 years earlier had been the youth minister at the church where I grew up at. My family has stayed in touch him over the years, so we had lots of interesting stories to swap with the people from his current church.

Such great advice. I definately plan to eat at least one meal in the dining car. Hopefull there will be some other children my daughters age which would make the experience even more enjoyable. I am so excited for this trip!!! It has been 12 years since seeing my family in Chicago (due to fear of flying) and this is making the trip even more special for me and my daughter.
If you haven't done so already, you might want to give a read through of these Hints & Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back